My Broody Doesn't Eat....

MamaManda

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2011
SW Washington
My Coop
My Coop
My 8 month old Buff Orpington went broody a couple weeks ago. I got some fertile eggs from a friend and gave them to her. She is on Day 6, and doing a marvelous job, except that she hasn't once got off her nest on her own in 6 days. I was told by the neighbor that gave me the eggs that I need to "throw her off the nest once a day so she eats." So, despite her growling, I gently lifted her off, carried her across the yard and set her with the other hens and their scratch. She ate, drank, pooped and stayed off the nest for about 45 min. before going back. I've pulled her off 2 other times, and she stayed off for about the same amount of time before going back.
Now I'm reading that I should just let her be. But she's so thin already, and hasn't been up for 2 whole days. (tomorrow am will be three) I was out of town when she initially went broody, but my husband, who was home, says he never saw her off the nest during that whole first week. Should I really just leave her?

My 8 month old Buff Orpington went broody a couple weeks ago. I got some fertile eggs from a friend and gave them to her. She is on Day 6, and doing a marvelous job, except that she hasn't once got off her nest on her own in 6 days. I was told by the neighbor that gave me the eggs that I need to "throw her off the nest once a day so she eats." So, despite her growling, I gently lifted her off, carried her across the yard and set her with the other hens and their scratch. She ate, drank, pooped and stayed off the nest for about 45 min. before going back. I've pulled her off 2 other times, and she stayed off for about the same amount of time before going back.
Now I'm reading that I should just let her be. But she's so thin already, and hasn't been up for 2 whole days. (tomorrow am will be three) I was out of town when she initially went broody, but my husband, who was home, says he never saw her off the nest during that whole first week. Should I really just leave her?
I would set up a small feeder and water supply close by, that way she feels more at ease getting off the eggs to feed and water
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom