My broody got on the wrong nest

jenn-E

Chirping
9 Years
May 6, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
When I came home today, my broody was on the wrong nest. The fertile eggs weren't cold, but they weren't really warm either. I moved her back to the correct box & collected today's fresh eggs to prevent any more confusion tonight. She's been sitting for 2 weeks now. Is there anything I can do to know if the eggs are still viable? Or do I just have to wait? If I do this again I will try to move her to her own area to brood, but she was an unexpected broody & I don't really have space at the moment.

I tried looking at some of the broody threads, but didn't see the answer. Any help is appreciated.

Quote:
Just curious why you asked if it was a silkie. Is that a common occurance?

Quote:
Just curious why you asked if it was a silkie. Is that a common occurance?

For new broody silkies yes. They are dumb as a box of rocks and they can go back and forth trying to find the right fit. Dummies.

I've never candled eggs. Will I see movement?

Mine is a Brabanter (that's her in my profile pic as a baby). She's not even a year old, but seems to be a determined broody. She was sitting for a week before I got the fertile eggs & has been on them for 2 weeks. She was not really "off the nest," but just got back on the wrong nest which also had eggs in it (the problem with having her brood in the coop where my other hens are still laying)

our silkie sits in an empty box for hours. I've tried to get her to be not-broody, but she jumps back into a box (she's not picky about which one). silly silkie!

I have three 1/2 Silkies 1/2 Cochins and they are stupid. I have to go collect the new eggs many times during the day because they get up to eat and go to the bathroom and they come back to the wrong nest... ALL THE TIME. All 3 are broodie now. Over time I have lost 4 clutches because of them going back to the wrong nest. UGGH!!! My other birds never had that issue.

Quote:
Ok, I want to make sure I understand. She was broody for 7 days before you put fertile eggs under her 14 days ago?

correct. I don't have a rooster, so the eggs my hens lay aren't fertile. She's been sitting for a little over 3 weeks now, but it took me a little while to decide she was really broody & then get her fertile eggs; so the eggs are only about 2 weeks along

Back
Top Bottom