My broody hen

ange

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2009
CORNING NY
IO made a makeshift broody pen for my broody hen. Is this ok, I took a plastic milk crate, that had holes all over it, large holes, and I linerd it with chicken wire, then placed a screen on top and anchored it on a child's wagon, will that do and be ok, and then I placed it in the garage

That is a great idea. What does she think about it? Can she get off her nest easily to get food and water and get rid of her broody poo?

That is what I am worried about. she fits in there just right, not much room to move around in, and there is no room for food and water. So I placed some food on a large stone and placed it in there and she does not eat it, so I took her out and she ate. So I will either have to keep her in there and let her out to roam the yard with the other hen, and lock up the hen house or make something larger for her, any ideas? Alos, her rec parts on her are real real red, ok? She cannot get off her nest at all, that is why IO am worried. If I left her there and let her out during the day where she can roan freely, not have aaccess to the hen house and atr night bring her back to her dungeon, will that work, because that way she will not be able to go brood anywhere, but when it is nest time, I bring her back to that dungeon

Is there some way to provide water through a water bottle like for rabbits?

Also you might change your title to broody housing delema--need help. That might garner you more timely responses. I have been busy with church and company today. Sorry for not checking sooner.

Great idea. thanks any more? And do you know what my other hen stopped layingm after this hen qwent broody?

I felt bad, that my broody hen, I named them heckyl and jeckyl, heckyl, is of course, the broody one. , was in tight quarters, with no food and water, I feed her often on my own, so I went out and bought her a animal trap, all mesh wires and a lot lot wider then her, but it will still be a tight squeeze, so will not be able to walk around much, but she will always have food and water at her disposal, and I will let her out in the day to roam, then at night to the broodsy, what do you think? And yes, I also think it is a conspiracy

Back
Top Bottom