ya.gif
:hugs:D
tongue.png
smile.png
big_smile.png
wee.gif
:love:celebrate:drool:woot:clap:yiipchick:cd:jumpyyay

Quote:
As far as I know she's WLH. She was scooped up out of the bin at tractor supply with her 9 "sisters" this past march. She does have a single comb too it's just extra flopped over because she hasn't been eating and drinking as well while brooding. She also has snow white eggs and I'm not sure what color eggs the RIW lays. I guess it's possible she may be mixed cause everything I've read tells me broodiness in this breed is rare. She also seems to be a good Mama....it's so cute watching her smash up the crumbles even more and show them how to eat and drink.

Quote:
Check out the white earlobes - she's a leghorn. Yes, it is unusual but not unheard of that a leghorn would go broody.

Yay someone who succeeded with a broody leghorn! Its been 6 days so far and shes not budging. Being a trooper! Hardly eaten, her comb is fading fast. Shes sitting on 10 eggs and im hoping, im hoping xx
1f44d.png
1f414.png

Yay someone who succeeded with a broody leghorn! Its been 6 days so far and shes not budging. Being a trooper! Hardly eaten, her comb is fading fast. Shes sitting on 10 eggs and im hoping, im hoping xx
1f44d.png
1f414.png

It's been a long time since that hatch:) All 7 eggs hatched and I ended up with 5 hens and 2 roosters. I was sooooo new to chickens and that was a great experience all around. Also....every one of those hatched girls have wanted to brood. They are also great, protective mama's.

This is an older post, however, I feel a need to include my 2 dollars (inflation) teee heee. about hens that are breeds claimed not to go broody. hahahaa. My white leghorn has been broody, and two of my Sicilian Buttercups have been broody, infact one of my Buttercups was sitting on shipped eggs and none hatched, then I gave her more from another Ebay purchase and NONE HATCHED, poor little thing, I felt so bad her diligently sitting for almost 50 days I had to go buy her 3 chicks to raise. I'm sure she was enjoying the extra goodies while she sat.
All my Broody hens get spoiled after they've been sitting tight about a week, they get their own little serving of scrambled eggs moisten with electrolytes and other crumbel, plus I put a small cup of water in their nest for a bit so they drink (it gets hot in Northern Cal) so that keeps them going!
ya.gif

Some of my hens go broody twice, teee hee. I had a broody FBCM ask to go out daily to dust, she was off eggs daily about 30 mins and 9 out of 11 eggs still hatched. Even with her coming back to the nest all dusty. I love broody hens to hatch/raise my "specialty breeds" funny how we get so paranoid when we have a dirty egg in our bator, yet a dusty hen can come back and sit on her eggs.
I've even hatched eggs in an old school Fry Pan / Electric Skillet, with just some shavings on the bottom and a small cupcake dish with a moist sponge and I manually turned eggs 3x's day.
And got good results. Now that I have my Incubator, seems like my hatches are worse, ugh!

My white leghorn managed just over 2 weeks then that was it didnt want to know! What made it worse is i checked one and they were developing well. Such a shame!

Back
Top Bottom