My Broody White Leghorn did it!!! (Pics) update

Sorry to hear that. I usually like to entice my broodies with scambled eggs or their favorite treat feed in a small cup in the nest with them, then of course water too--I guess that's cheating! tee hee
Oh, I've an electric skillet/fry pan set up with some shavings holding at 99.00 in the event I need to put viable eggs in there. The tough one is when new moms want to leave baby's after a couple weeks. I've had hens begin to lay with baby's and they are still hanging out with them, lol. I guess it just varies on hens, not necessarily the breed. One of my Sicilian Buttercups stayed with her chicks the entire time as they grew and began to lay themselves.

I have a light brown leghorn that I think is broody. She was in the nest longer than usual for several days, but not all the time until a couple of days ago. The only time she has been out is when I put her out and I have to wear welders gloves to do it! She is normally a really sweet hen but now is super aggressive. The other hens get in the nest with her to lay their eggs. I have a rooster, but don't want to hatch right now because I am in the process of enlarging the coop and run and have 3 new hens to introduce as soon as it is all finished. What should I do? Just leave her a few days and see if she gets over it? Put fake eggs in? I have been collecting the eggs daily (at great risk of being eaten alive!
lol.png
).

LOL my Danish Brown Leg Horn did that. You can move her to an all wire cage/ crate in another location for a few days with nothing in it (except feed water) usually cooling down her body temp and change of environments--knocks em out of it.

Well, she didn't sleep in the nest last night, but is right back in there this morning. So, is she really broody? If so, is it better to try to break it bnow or just wait a few days and see what happens. From what I've read from the good folks here, since she's a leghorn, it might not last long ... or it might ...

Depends on how important it is to you to not have her be broody. My white leghorn was glued to the nest the entire time and then some. You can try ignoring her and just pull the eggs daily and see if she finally gives up! lol

I think she's already deciding that it's not all it's cracked up to be ... she's still in there more than usual, but only a few hours a day now. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom