Broody hen gave up on eggs.The eggs are now in the incubator... Please help!!

Oct 31, 2023
Glen rock Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
One of my silkie hens went broody sat on the eggs for 19 days then gave up they were out in 18 degrees(farenheit) for about 45minutes I put them in the incubator I can see through one egg because it has a thinner shell and I saw some definite development but the rest have thicker shells so I cant see through them during candling I want to know if they might have survived but its the 23rd day and I don't know how much longer they could hatch I've had chicks hatch on the 25th and 26th day but idk how much longer I should give them btw the hen has done this before but I was out and didn't know but when I cracked them open only one had semi developed out of four eggs so I thought she didn't feel any movement but she did it again so I think shes gotten into a habit so shes officially been blacklisted from setting.

One of my silkie hens went broody sat on the eggs for 19 days then gave up they were out in 18 degrees(farenheit) for about 45minutes I put them in the incubator I can see through one egg because it has a thinner shell and I saw some definite development but the rest have thicker shells so I cant see through them during candling I want to know if they might have survived but its the 23rd day and I don't know how much longer they could hatch I've had chicks hatch on the 25th and 26th day but idk how much longer I should give them btw the hen has done this before but I was out and didn't know but when I cracked them open only one had semi developed out of four eggs so I thought she didn't feel any movement but she did it again so I think shes gotten into a habit so shes officially been blacklisted from setting.
It made sense to mostly leave them alone in the incubator at first, but if they are already past day 23, chances of them hatching are going way down.

Have you tried candling them? If you are not experienced with candling, grab one or more fresh eggs as well, and candle them for comparison. Us a small bright light (some small flashlights are good, and some cell phones have a good light for the purpose.) The fresh eggs will show what an egg looks like with no development. The eggs that have been incubated will have a bigger air cell, but if they otherwise look like the fresh ones they probably did not develop at all.

An egg that is close to hatching will have a big air cell at one end, and otherwise it will be completely full of chick so you can't see through it at all.

These two articles have photos of candling eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day.72537/
(Day 17 is an almost fully developed chick, showing a lot of dark shell with some veins near the air cell. If yours are alive, they should be similar this but probably with no more veins visible.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/call-duck-incubation-day-by-day-candleing.77411/
(These are photos of Call Duck eggs, not chicken eggs, so they take a different number of days but go through pretty much the same stages. The Day 24 image is when that duckling is almost ready to start hatching, with Day 25 showing that it has internally pipped at the beginning of the hatching process.)

It made sense to mostly leave them alone in the incubator at first, but if they are already past day 23, chances of them hatching are going way down.

Have you tried candling them? If you are not experienced with candling, grab one or more fresh eggs as well, and candle them for comparison. Us a small bright light (some small flashlights are good, and some cell phones have a good light for the purpose.) The fresh eggs will show what an egg looks like with no development. The eggs that have been incubated will have a bigger air cell, but if they otherwise look like the fresh ones they probably did not develop at all.

An egg that is close to hatching will have a big air cell at one end, and otherwise it will be completely full of chick so you can't see through it at all.

These two articles have photos of candling eggs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day.72537/
(Day 17 is an almost fully developed chick, showing a lot of dark shell with some veins near the air cell. If yours are alive, they should be similar this but probably with no more veins visible.)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/call-duck-incubation-day-by-day-candleing.77411/
(These are photos of Call Duck eggs, not chicken eggs, so they take a different number of days but go through pretty much the same stages. The Day 24 image is when that duckling is almost ready to start hatching, with Day 25 showing that it has internally pipped at the beginning of the hatching process.)
ok thanks

Back
Top Bottom