1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wexford Chuck, May 12, 2011.

1. Wexford Chuck

Wexford Chuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    [​IMG]
    this is Podge my broody sitting on 13 eggs, due 28th may.
    i will have to move mother and chicks to a pen built inside my shed and was wondering, at what age would this be best? as she is in a small rabbit hutch at the moment and the Irish weather is still a little unpredictable at the moment.
    really looking forward to my first brood, will post more pics as and when there are any developments [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Working with a broody is fun - and sometimes frustrating. [​IMG]

Is she in the rabbit hutch now in the that picture? If there is space for her to get up and flex her wings, eat, and drink and space for the chicks to run around, then they may be fine in there for up to a couple weeks after hatch. But if the other pen is ready and bigger and more weather tight, then you could move her right up to a day or so before hatch. I'd do it at night when she is less inclined to get up and explore the new housing, though.

3. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    Yes this is a picture of her in the hutch and there is a small run attached to it. She is able to get into the run but she hasn't bothered moving since she set. I am going to candle the eggs on wednesday and maybe i should really considder moving her to her new pen then saves having to disturb her too often.
    [​IMG] Thanks for the advice Becca.

4. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    [​IMG] Just heard my first PEEP [​IMG]
    will post some photos when the little ones pop their heads out from under mamma [​IMG]

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

This late in the sitting process, I wouldn't move her until all are hatched. The babies won't be doing much running around for the first couple of days so you will have time for all to hatch even if they don't all come on the same day.

Have the new place all ready ahead of time with bedding, food & water. Put all the babies in a deep bowl (to move all together) and let mom see them during the whole move. Do the move as quickly, calmly & quietly as possible and leave them alone to re-settle. Mom will be happy anywhere if she has her babies.

Good luck with the move!

6. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    Thanks for that advice mmaddie's mum, i will be leaving momma and chicks alone for the near future in a specially built pen in the garage.

7. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Yay, Podge! Congratulations! I'm looking forward to photos of the brood! [​IMG]

8. farmchic

farmchic New Egg

Jun 27, 2010
    So exciting! Good luck!

9. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    What a beautiful broody. [​IMG]

I also, would wait until the chicks hatch before moving her. Some hens will stop setting

completely, if they are moved.

~Becca

10. Wexford Chuck

Aug 12, 2009
    Wexford, Ireland
    As promised here are a couple of photo's, there are 5 chicks so far and 5 eggs still remaining.

[​IMG]

the other 3 are still a little shy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by