My Buff Hen

LishlovesChicks

In the Brooder
May 1, 2017
Kentucky
Would a hen quit laying after a trauma? The neighbor dog got her about 3 weeks ago, we were able to get her before it killed her, we nursed her and she seems to be fine now just minus several feathers. She laid and egg the day it happened but has not since. She is now back in with the other chickens. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Oh absolutely! Trauma will clamp those eggs right off. If a hen is not comfortable laying, she won't. Laying leaves them vulnerable and she may be nervous about laying. She still may be healing internally. She may have sustained enough damage it may take her quite a while to get back in the groove.

Does she seem ok otherwise? You might try a ticking clock in the coop, maybe play a radio during the day only set to something quiet. I have had wonderful luck with both of these on stressed out birds. Also you might keep fake eggs in the nest box and hang curtains in the front of the boxes. This gives the hens a sense of privacy and security.

Good luck with your girl and I hope she gets back to laying soon!! :)

Oh absolutely! Trauma will clamp those eggs right off. If a hen is not comfortable laying, she won't. Laying leaves them vulnerable and she may be nervous about laying. She still may be healing internally. She may have sustained enough damage it may take her quite a while to get back in the groove.

Does she seem ok otherwise? You might try a ticking clock in the coop, maybe play a radio during the day only set to something quiet. I have had wonderful luck with both of these on stressed out birds. Also you might keep fake eggs in the nest box and hang curtains in the front of the boxes. This gives the hens a sense of privacy and security.

Thanks, she seems fine, just not laying. It is not a problem I just have them to watch but hate that I can't let them free range anymore because the dogs will not leave them alone now, i should never have gotten rid of my rooster I guess.

Thanks, she seems fine, just not laying. It is not a problem I just have them to watch but hate that I can't let them free range anymore because the dogs will not leave them alone now, i should never have gotten rid of my rooster I guess.

I can't let my flock out without constant supervision. I have all kinds of predators, although not dogs. Roosters can help but not always do they keep the flock safe. Give them a big run, and maybe consider a tractor to keep them in during the day?

Back
Top Bottom