My Buff Orpington is sitting on her egg fertilized by my Guinea

LaurieA

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 10, 2013
First I am deciding whether to let her hatch them. this is the first time she has actually sat on her egg. She has been getting busy with my guinea so he is definately the daddy.

Now... I have another hen that lays her eggs in the same space, and they are not fertile cuz she isn't getting any action... how would I know which eggs to pull out, or do i just leave them all alone?

I don't think your guinea will be the father. They can hybridize, but only if a rooster mates with a female guinea. A male guinea doesn't have the equipment necessary to fertilize a hen. They can mate, but it won't accomplish anything. However, if you want to try it, just mark the eggs that she starts with so you know which ones they are and take out unmarked eggs daily.

A male guinea can fertlize the hens egg - survival rate it not a good as if it were the other way around though.

I have no other males... so if this egg is fertile its definately his : )

Cool! You'll have to let us know how it goes. Everything I've ever read says it doesn't work that way, so it would be neat it if did. I have male guineas in with my hens and I've never had a hybrid from their eggs so I just assumed what I read was true.

Back
Top Bottom