My buff silkie roo died last night

silkhope

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
Pittsboro, NC
I just found him this afternoon, hunkered in the run. He won't stand up and he will let me do anything to him which is unusual. I bathed his bottom and legs cause he was so nasty and saw a white bug crawling on his head around his eye, which I'm assuming is a mite. AGH!!!!!

I have Hartz flea and tick spray, can I use it?

It's supposed ot rain all day tonight and tomorrow, the only thing I can think to get to get all my girls in the pen is Sevin's (sp) dust. Will this be okay??

THANKS!!!

Last edited:
Ok, his poo is watery and light brown. His eyes are bubbly, clear liquid. He is still very lethargic. These are the only symptoms I can find.

He's over two years old. He's the only rooster in the pen so he wasn't taken over.

Any ideas???

Edited to add, it can't be mites making him sick, I only found one, he's not infested.

Last edited:
He sounds like he has a respatory illness.
"Bubbly eyes"
What kind of medications do you have on hand???

Do you have Vetrx? if so put a drop on is nostrials to help clear up his head.

Clean all the waters add a tablespoon of apple cider vinigar per gallon this will keep the germs from being spread to the other chickens through the drinking water.

Do you have any antibiotics???

Keep him in the house where it warmer. give him fresh water with V&E to keep his strength up.

If he has runny Poo you can sprinkle Old Fashioned Dried oatmeal flakes on his food or on the ground around him to peck at. "I DON'T LIKE INSTANT OATMEAL"

Last edited:
There is no one answer for treatment Just do what ever you can Here is a sugestion.

You can cut these directions in half and make a smaller batch. "Still use 1 teaspoon of molasses though"

How to make a Warm Crumble,
When you have a Stressed, Sick or a Shipped Bird, You can make them a Warm Crumble to give them an Energy Boost.
Take 1 CUP Crumbles, 1/2 CUP Hot Water with one Teaspoon Molasses and a few drops of Liquid Vitamins,
Pour into dish of crumbles and stir fast to get evenly wet mixture.
"YOU DO NOT WANT MUSH"

311167649.jpg

This is what your warm crumble should look like.

311167652.jpg

Ashley.......
I'm so sorry about your rooster! He is so beautiful! Do you think the white bug could be lice? You can use a dog flea/tick/lice shampoo on him with no problems. I have the "Chicken Health Handbook" if you want to borrow it.....I will be driving right by your house at 7:45am tomorrow and I'd be happy to drop it off.
Also.....I have a dusting powder (can't remember the name) for mites (and maybe other parasites) and a spray that I had to use last summer when I had a bad infestation of red mites. I have a lot of both.....I can bring those to you too if you want me to. Call me or email me. I'll be thinking of you....good luck!!
Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom