my button female stoped laying why???

Quailfamah

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
central maine
i have a pair of buttons, and i really want to incubate some eggs. ive had the pair for 2 or 3 months now, i got them off a lady who didnt want them anymore. she said they were only 2 months old when i got them, well about a montha nd a half ago she just up and stopped laying, havent seen an egg since. why di this happen?? and what can i do to get her to lay again??

thanks in advance for nayone who can help

Make sure she has some type of calcium supplement, I use the parakeet cuttle bones for mine. She might be eating the eggs, or they could be so brittle (the shell) that the buttons are breaking them when they scurry around their cage. What type of feed are you giving them?

Birds will naturally slow down laying when moves to a new home. Buttons sometimes will stop for a couple months for no apparent reason and then start again with even larger eggs. I would say it's seasonal but my buttons kept indoors don't seem to stick to a certain season. They just stop randomly after a few months and then start laying again just as before. No amount of light or calcium changes will make them lay for those couple months.

My buttons did the same thing. The hen laid an egg daily for 8 days after I bought her. It has now been about a month since her last egg. My understanding is that numerous factors are involved with the halt in production, not the least of which is that she cannibalized her mate. We have her and her new mate set up in a huge terrarium by the bay windows with plenty of good food, treats, clean water, and mood music (if you count our 4-year-old's singing). They are courting, but I haven't witnessed any mating yet.

My advice is to search for button quail hatching eggs on eBay while you wait. I got 32 eggs for only $8 including S/H. I've heard stories about infertile humans conceiving right after they adopt--maybe it will work that way for quail!
wink.png

Jennifer

Quote:
I can't imagine selling any eggs for that price, after shipping, ebay's and paypal's fees, there wouldn't be anything left. I'd rather feed them back to the birds for that, the chickens love them.
hmm.png

"I can't imagine selling any eggs for that price, after shipping, ebay's and paypal's fees, there wouldn't be anything left. I'd rather feed them back to the birds for that, the chickens love them.
hmm.png
"

I've thought the same thing, but she lists auctions regularly at those prices. It is very kind of her to go to the trouble of essentially giving away her eggs . I sell on eBay myself and am well aware of the rising costs of doing business. Maybe the auctions end higher on a good week but, with the amount of packaging involved (each egg was carefully bundled in high quality facial tissues), it can't be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom