My buttons are incubation eggs!

Hi Grandmabird. Thanks for the congrats. This is my first experience with the buttons and its been fun so far. Yes, they are super fast! I love watching them as a little family in the aviary. They do a great job protecting their babies. I am glad that the daddy is so good and helping her. I plan on keeping some of the females for just the eggs. I have heard that eating them helps with allergies so I want to try it. Will sell the rest. Will definately be keeping this mom and dad quail.
wink.png
Good luck with your little one.

OMGosh-your babies look wonderful! You know-they LOVE straw! Mine started sitting on eggs when I put in the straw-they went crazy over it! Wow-your mum must trust you as mine would not let me near. I will post a pic if I ever get one! hehe My aviary floor looks horrible as I have not cleaned it for 3 weeks! not wanting to disturb them. I want to put down more straw on the floor-but probably they need to find the food well first. May sure there was no where they could get stuck too.
celebrate.gif

You are lucky. My female only hatched one little chick and she is so overly protective that I can not hardly get by the cage that she starts acting aggressive and scares the poor little one to pieces. She had it so excited yesterday as I was adding some food and water that the little one jumped and went right through the cage bars and thank God it headed to the bathroom where it was dark and safer. I quickly had my husband get in with me and we shut the door and he got on the floor and caught the little bugger but boy was he fast. And he was screaming as loud as he could too! poor mom and dad were going nutz! After putting the chick back in the cage we just left them for several hours, I was afraid the chick got hurt in the fall to the floor but it is doing fine. Silly birds!
And they do grow so fast. I raised a batch last spring, of 7 and it seemed like just a short time before they were ready for new homes. at 7 weeks a guy offered to take them all for new breeding stock so I sold them all to him. Super cheap, like $30 but it okay I did not want them. I decide not to hatch anymore but the female had other ideas! I figure from now on I will remove the good eggs and replace with an old one I know is old and wont hatch. Maybe she will take a break from laying now that fall is here. anyway congrats on your little ones and keep posting photos. You should join us on our face book page, button quail, great bunch of people and learning stuff everyday almost! see ya there.
Thank you both for your response's. Red Squirrel they are really cute babies, Congratulations!
GrandmaBird- well now with just the one baby, you get to really spoil it don't you :) and thank you for the info on FaceBook I will definitely check that out.

When should i separate my chicks from their parents-all is good now (they are about 2 weeks old). Just wondering when people usually do it. Could not find the answer on the internet. Seems everyone just puts the eggs in the incubator and raises them that way. Thanks
big_smile.png

As long as there is no aggression from the parents, I would leave them together until the chicks are fully feathered, about 6 weeks. I have even left them together well into adulthood. It's really up to the parents. As long as the parents tolerate the chicks, you might as well let them do your brooding for you.

How often a day and for how long would your broody hens leaves their nests? I have 2 broodies right but I feel that they leave their eggs too often and for far too long. I do have to mention that we are havinf a bir of a heat wave and ita bwen pretty warm in my house where the birds are being kept. Any help would be appreciated.

Mine came off their eggs quite a bit. But when the female was off the male would usually jump on but not always. They come off the eggs a lot more than chickens do.

When should i separate my chicks from their parents-all is good now (they are about 2 weeks old). Just wondering when people usually do it. Could not find the answer on the internet. Seems everyone just puts the eggs in the incubator and raises them that way. Thanks
big_smile.png
Was just reading through some of these threads ! I just wanted to mention that our 1st hatching went very well, with both Mom & Dad taking care of the 8 chicks... But our Broody Hen, began laying eggs again after about 3 weeks, all was well, even the Chicks kept the eggs warm... BUT, when the 2nd batch of babies began hatching all Heck broke out :( The older chicks began cannibalizing the new chicks.. Lesson learned, I will be removing Chicks a few days before the next eggs should be hatching!

Out of the 9 eggs for the second hatch- my husband, luckily he was home, was able to save 2 Chicks. They are doing very well though. The original 1st hatching = 8 babies, we have kept 2 and sold the others. It's unfortunate that they are so territorial and only prefer being in pairs.

Back
Top Bottom