My buttons started hatching last night.

Nyrial

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
20 eggs set (I cracked 4 trying to put them in.. oops.
hide.gif
)

I had two hatch last night. They're dried and fluffed out. How long can I leave them in there without having to take them out.. how long should I wait before calling the others a loss? If I have to take them out, how adversely will it affect the others?

This is our first hatch ever for anything, so I'm sure this is something I screwed up, and has nothing to do with the eggs or their fertility.

On a side note: soooo cute and tiny. I'm addicted.

I usually leave them for about 18-24 hours. You don't want to open up the incubator and loose all your humidity. They will come in spurts every couple of hours. chickens can go about 72 hrs without food or water BUT quail can't last that long. leave them in no more than 24 hours, just make sure brooder is set up and ready to go. As for how long to let them go as a general rule it is two days after due date but they have hatched up to 5 days late. temp fluctuations in incubator can prolong development of the chick and make it longer. late hatching chicks alot of times have health issues so i usually end it 2 days after. Good luck with your hatch and enjoy them. Oh yea forgot to say "Welcome to the Addiction"!!!!

#3 is here!

And thanks
smile.png
The brooder is ready. Gamebird starter (30%, I hope that's okay) ground up fine in the blender. Water in a shallow dish filled with rock chips so they can't drown, and non slip bedding.

I think I'll risk pulling whatever has already hatched tonight. There is food in there with them but no water (heat evaporation I'm sure)

I can't wait for photo ops! Can't see too well through the incubator though.

Back
Top Bottom