My Cat Chases the chickens

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Lilyofthecoop, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Lilyofthecoop

Lilyofthecoop New Egg

Mar 2, 2016
    Hello!
    This morning I heard a lot of clucking outside, and when I looked out the window my indoor/outdoor cat, Navy, was chasing one of my young roosters around! Is there any way to keep her from doing besides keeping her locked inside? Our chickens have a pen they stay in, but it's sort of an awkward set up, and there are parts of the top that are open and cannot be closed (I might be able to get a picture later to better explain).

Thanks!

2. cuteychickens15

cuteychickens15 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2015
    As for a solution right now, I'm not sure.

How old is the rooster ? When ours were young, we were worried about our two cats getting our chickens. Our chickens now chase our cats away so if your rooster is quite young/small then your cat probably see him as something they think they can catch but as they grow up and get bigger, they can then stick up for themselves more.

3. GAchickennewbie

GAchickennewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Northeast GA
    That's interesting. My cat is afraid of my chickens. They taught him respect when I first brought him home.

I have trained several dogs in my life, but I've never learned how to train a cat.

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Super soaker....or garden hose.

5. Nanzie

Nanzie New Egg

Apr 23, 2016
    Sacramento
    I have six Kitties who hang out with my Buff Silkie, who I rescued about 6 weeks ago. If she walks straight toward one, they'll usually run from her. She once pecked at the tail of my little grey kitty. They seem to like her, and fear her at the same time. She's the cutest thing I ever did see! [​IMG]

6. slingshotandLAR

slingshotandLAR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2013
    Ok...again this topic comes up.

Cats love to kill birds, chickens are birds. It's that simple. Cats can and do kill chickens, there are no rules to determine weather or not YOUR cat will kill your chickens. You have to put them together and see what happens. Then when everyone is outside by themselves you still never know.

You may get 50 replies to this thread from people saying their cats never ever bother chickens and your cat was just playing and all kinds of nonsense. Cats are predators and **** good ones, if they choose your chickens are in serious trouble.

Best way to stop it is have them separated, that's the only way to be sure your chickens will be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by