my cat vomits

warren

Songster
12 Years
Sep 29, 2007
UK
I leave dry food out for my cat to eat whenever he gets hungry, and feed him wet food when he asks for it. I only feed him tiny portions of the wet food as he sometimes vomits it up.
Today I was eating my tea when he vomited on my leg. Then he went to his food bowl and vomited there. I thought that that was that, but it wasnt. He did it again another twice before I managed to get him out of the door.
What am I doing wrong? He is otherwise healthy.

He might have a hairball? Or is just eating too fast. We had one cat that gulped food down so fast just because it did not want the other cat to have any and then it would vomit. The vet said it was just eating too fast.

My cat spews all the time.....
sickbyc.gif

Most of the time he has hairballs. I think it is because he has a sensitive stomach. I would not feed him anymore canned food. I would stick to the dry as it is easier to clean up.

I just had my carpets cleaned on Wednesday and Thursday morning there was a fresh pile of vomit in my sons room.

If he isn't losing weight I wouldn't worry about it.

This is our adorable little barfy Buddy:
2584154624_02507bbe63.jpg

He woopses his cookies a few times a week, mostly because he ralfs down his dry food really fast because he know Joey will eat all the rest. We used to keep dry food out all the time, but the vet thought the boys were getting too chubby.

Maybe it's just normal for some cats. A sensitive stomach, like that other poster said...

Last edited:
We had a cat named Matilda that used to vomit. We finally took her to the vet and an x-ray indicated that she had an obstructed bowel. We were using the clumping type of cat litter and she was ingesting enough of it to pose a problem when she licked her paws grooming herself. Laxatone was the product we used to get her plumbing working right again. Good luck, hope you can solve the problem!

Thanks for your quick replies folks. Lovely picture Buff.
It seems that you all have worse problems than I do. At least mine only does it a few times a month and mostly in the morning.
I was wondering if it was the food or too much of it. I am sure that if he were finding his own food and so eating a natural diet in the right quantities he would not have the resources to vomit so often.
It may be that he is stealing someone else's food as well as eating his own.
Perhaps I should not give him access to food all day and night. He is not fat and not in competition with any other cats.
I don't think that it is hairball. I have never found evidence of one. What symptoms would I expect with hairball?
I don't use cat litter. He goes outside. It has been going on for a long time so I don't think it is an obstruction.
Perhaps it is just what cats do??

It seems that you all have worse problems than I do. At least mine only does it a few times a month and mostly in the morning

Sounds exactly like my Arlo. I can't leave food out all of the time because Arlo is a pig and Everette is a snacker. I feed them twice a day. Before bed time, I put out a small amount for them to snack on during the night. If i forget, its almost a given that Arlo will puke his breakfast.

Freddie loves to come clean up the cat barf. The minute Arlo starts hacking, Freddie runs around looking for the cat & barf. Once, he actually has barf on his nose cause he pushed Arlo out of the way too soon.
tongue2.gif

I dont think there is a pending crisis here
smile.png

My wife is a cat person and we have plenty. It seems some are naturally just barfers. Mine all eat the same food and one of them Lucky, is a real barfaroo. The rest - nuttin'

As long as you are doing what you are doing, I wouldnt worry. I am worried about this comment, however:
"...and feed him wet food when he asks for it."

Uh, know theres medication for that, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our P-kitty is about to get his name change to Ralph. He has an ongoing hairball issue and everytime we stray from the hairball control food he leaves a deposit. In the middle of the night I heard him in our bedroom....eewwww. I just knew I was going to find it with my foot in the morning.

Some cats are just barfing fools, they eat to fast and it all comes up.

Back
Top Bottom