My cayuga was bobbing!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Nov 15, 2008.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Only the males do this right? The reason I ask is that it was doing it to an obviously male rouen! I am not even sure if it was the male or female cayuga, pretty hard to tell unless they're up close, and they were in the middle of the pond. Is it like a strutting thing? Like when roosters do their 'stare-downs'?

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    All my ducks bob and they are all laying so no drakes. I have 2 Caugas and 3 khaki cambells.

3. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    my 3 Pekin girls do the "bob" lol!

4. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    All ducks bob (in my experience). I like to refer to is as the "consent", duck foreplay, if you will!!! [​IMG]

5. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    My cayuga is the only female of the original bunch, and she bobs. I also have a male Khaki Campbell and two male Pekins. They were all hatch buddies with my geese and the eight of them run around together all the time.

And even with all the male attention, none of her eggs were fertile this year. *sigh*

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    If you only have 1 duck with 3 drakes you're lucky she's still alive. Multiple drakes will literally breed a single duck to death. If they're on a pond they will keep breeding the duck until she drowns.

7. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    To me it looks like they are (bowing) down at me lmao [​IMG]

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Actually I have 4 ducks with 6 drakes. I was thinking they bred in the spring like normal animals, and I could wait to seperate them. I have been trying to find some more ducks, but all I can find in this area is pekins or muscovies. I hate muscovies and i have enough pekins already. I will seperate them shortly.
    <edit> Just realized you were'nt referring to me! [​IMG]

Mine are on a pond though, and that's one thing I worry about. They won't have access to the pond when they are seperated by breeds, just enough to drink, but no swimming, but that won't help when I turn them all back out.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by