My charlie chicken

Tiffanyrenee

Hatching
Sep 28, 2019
My coop was attacked 4 weeks ago and two of my hens got injured. One made a speedy recovery whilst my other beloved charlie was critical for weeks. She had a serious hip injury and some awful puncture wounds. After two weeks in a splint and some tlc she finally began to come around. Shes eating very well and started to lay her first two eggs. My only issue now is her foot. She has what appears to be bumble foot but I dont see any obvious signs of a boil just a white discolored spot that seems like she lost a scale on her leg. Can anyone offer me any help. I've been soaking, and using antibiotics and saline.
IMG_20190915_170102_732.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190906_235108_387.jpg
    IMG_20190906_235108_387.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1569699326927918622917633832702.jpg
    1569699326927918622917633832702.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 6
I'm sorry to hear about Charlie.
Can she walk at all?
Is there any pus that comes out of the foot? Soaking in chlorhexidine may be beneficial, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.
If it doesn't clear up, seeking vet care is best if that's possible. You may need to try antibiotics.

I'm sorry to hear about Charlie.
Can she walk at all?
Is there any pus that comes out of the foot? Soaking in chlorhexidine may be beneficial, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.
If it doesn't clear up, seeking vet care is best if that's possible. You may need to try antibiotics.

Thank you so much for the reply! She has recently started walking and applying minimum pressure to the injured foot. I have a prescription on hand for infection from the vet. There is no sign of puss of leaking of any sort. I've kept her sleeping and feeding area rather clean with puppy pads I bath her daily with antibacterial soap on her lady bits and feet to avoid possible bacterial growth on her still open sores. She seems rather comfortable after I apply lidocaine and moves the hurt foot more. She also tends to use her good foot to hold down her bad foot to stand properly. I have an area outside secluded from the heard so she can still be semi cage free.

Attachments

• received_2694418140785237.jpeg
    received_2694418140785237.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 5
Sorry to hear about Charlie at least she's getting better slowly! :hugs

I wouldn't say that's bumblefoot. As you thought, I think she has just lost one of the scales on the top of her foot which will most likely come back during her next moult.

In my experience, it's pretty rare for a chicken to get bumblefoot on the top of their foot. It's more common on the bottom and toes.

You could always take a photo of the bottom of her foot and show it here.

However, I think she most likely has just caught a scale and it's came off. Under the scales can be quite tender to touch so it most likely will be sore for a few days. I would keep it clean from crusty mud and dirt but I wouldn't constantly over clean it. It should eventually 'dry out' an become less painful until her new scales come in.

She seems rather comfortable after I apply lidocaine and moves the hurt foot more. She also tends to use her good foot to hold down her bad foot to stand properly. I have an area outside secluded from the heard so she can still be semi cage free.
Do you think her using the good foot to hold the bad one down, she's rubbing that sore spot?
I don't know if she's actually holding it down with the other foot, it just may be the way the feet are lining up, if her legs were injured or she had nerve/spinal injury, it may have displaced the legs/how she stands.
It's good that she can get out a bit and move around.

Back
Top Bottom