My cheap chicken condo coop...(pics)

Steve

Ye Olde Henhouse Builder
13 Years
Feb 18, 2008
Eaton County, Michigan
I am just about done with my chicken coop, and today was a beautiful day to work on it.

I am a building contractor and always have left over scaps of wood, siding, roofing etc,..so I figure I have an actual $160.00 into what I had to buy, and that was some 2x6's, a plexiglass windo and fence/posts.

Here are some pics of my coop, and even though it isn't anything grand and glorious....it will suit my needs.

A view from the front....the left portion was a old deer hunting blind I had back in the woods, so I brought it up and joined it to the newer structure. The deer blind was 4 x 6 and the newer structure (right) is 5 x 8.

P1010124.jpg

View from the side entrance door....I'll be glad when my son gets that bed liner out of my place and back in his truck.

P1010113.jpg

Opening up the screen door you can see a door to the smaller (deer blind) portion of the coop where the feeder and waterer is as well as the roosting perches.

P1010114.jpg

Then opening up the second sreen door you can see all the way in.

P1010120.jpg

My cousin gave me these nesting boxes.

P1010115.jpg

Then directly above the nesting boxes I started making a brooder which uses dead space above the nest boxes that I didn't want the hens roosting on....it isn't quite done yet.

P1010116-1.jpg

And since it was such a nice day I let the flock out for the first time and kept a watchful eye on them. They were having a ball.

P1010104.jpg

Thanks for taking the tour of my cheap chicken condo.....

looks good - and your chickens look so happy to have green grass to scratch around in.

They'll have it down to dirt in no time, but they will enjoy it while it lasts!
roll.png

Quote:
Yeah, that is also in the works. I am planning on making one using a pickup topper that my son didn't need anymore....whatever the dimension of that topper is plus add on about four more feet to the length, a couple feet in heigth excluding topper heigth, which would roughly make it a 5x12 and use the John Deere lawn tractor to move the heavy thing.....I'll start saving up more left over lumber from the jobsite.

Steve I think that is a fabulous coop. It looks well constructed, roomy and secure...once you cover the top of that run area hehehehehe

Well done and if it is inexpensive... it is better!

Steve,

The coop looks great!! I love how you added the brooder up top, great idea!! Wow, those are alot of nest boxes!! Me thinks you need MORE chickens!! hehehe
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom