My chick drowned

Steven Bussell

Songster
May 5, 2019
Bay Area Calif
I raise a mix flock in the same run with a pond. I have a block for the my 9 weeks chicks to stand on. They use it every day to drink water. Some has tried to swim with the ducks but will jump back out or use the block to set out of it. But I didn't fill the pond until both where 6 weeks old.
Sorry about your lost.

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
Ok I’ll have to make some changes but I only have one coop one little run they all share and my ducks just love to swim all day off n on

Tilhana

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2020
So sorry for your loss, J99.

To anyone who has raised chickens and waterfowl together, I'm trying to figure out when I can integrate my 3 1/2 week old chicks to the rest of the flock. They are being raised by a mama hen and they've free-ranged with the rest of the flock so I'm not concerned about them being bullied, but I'm worried they might fall into the gooses' pool, which is about 9" deep. Do I need to wait until they are tall enough to stand in it with their heads above the water? Does putting bricks on the bottom to make a staircase really prevent drowning?

I encountered several problems with this hatch, and I only have 4 chicks left - I don't want to lose any to a preventable accident! But they're quickly becoming too big for their brooder. Appreciate any suggestions!

J99

Songster
Jul 25, 2019
Kentucky
My Coop
I ended up having to not put enough waters in the pools until they could get out I ldon’t st two chicks and one was after we added bricks so no they can still drown with bricks

Top Bottom