My chick got her leg caught in a mouse trap!!!

tencountrychicks

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
My husband and I are new to chickens! We are both really excited to have fresh eggs right in our backyard! One of our chicks legs got caught in a mouse trap while we were cleaning out their brooder a few days ago. We took her and held her for awhile, because I was so upset about it. We decided to give her a fighting chance and put her in a brooder all by herself. We made sure that it was a small box so she couldn't move around too much and hurt herself anymore. She started to eat and drink by herself and then stand on one leg and use her wings for balance. Just today I noticed that she has been trying to walk/limp on it, but her toes are kind of curled in. What should we do to help her?!?!?! Thanks!!

I pushed a brass chest onto my cockateil and mangled his leg horribly. The vet set it with toothpicks and wrapped it with vet wrap. In a few days he was actually flying around the house with his "cast" on!!! He recovered and lived to age 18! So I would say splint it and wrap it if you can. Make sure the toes are splinted in a natural shape. Even if it seems cumbersome now it should heal in a few weeks. I would do my very best to uncurl those toes and stablize them for healing....

I can't post a picture of her right now. I can tell you that it looks just like her other leg. No cuts, bleeding, bruising. I didn't feel anything broken. She chirps louder when I put her hip between my thumb and pointer finger to feel around. She is limping on it.

I pushed a brass chest onto my cockateil and mangled his leg horribly. The vet set it with toothpicks and wrapped it with vet wrap. In a few days he was actually flying around the house with his "cast" on!!! He recovered and lived to age 18! So I would say splint it and wrap it if you can. Make sure the toes are splinted in a natural shape. Even if it seems cumbersome now it should heal in a few weeks. I would do my very best to uncurl those toes and stablize them for healing....

I read that some people used cardboard to cure curled toes. Could we use that? Where do you get the vet wrap? Or could we just use regular tape??

Quote:
Thanks a lot! It does help, because that is what her toes look like right now.
smile.png

86034_100_1489.jpg

Here is a picture of Penelope. Today I noticed that she was still limping on it, but it was not as curled as it has been. Should we still put cardboard on her foot?

Back
Top Bottom