My chick had no comb

chickenmama109

Free Ranging
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
texas
262DF7E9-9746-4035-96D3-D467CB532191.jpeg 72741EEE-1632-4BB8-BD19-D4508BBFEDAE.jpeg Hi I have a one month old chick with no comb how did it come off will it grow back her are some photos

If your chick used to have a comb and somehow lost it (injury, frostbite, etc.) it will not grow back.

If it never had a comb, I wouldn't worry too much. There are lots and lots of different kinds of chicken combs in all different shapes and sizes. I had one chick that looked like she had no comb until almost 9 months old and now she has a tiny little pea comb. Females combs don't develop too much until they are at point of lay with certain comb types being more prominent than others.

Do you know what kind of chicken it is? That may give a clue too.

This drawing I found online shows just how different various types of combs can be in size and shape.

ecf2f88dccd182d20974ebf7c68c0929.jpg

What breed is the chick? I would’t worry about it if the comb is very small. I have a black ameraucana hen who has a tiny pea comb, but you can see enough of it to tell if it is red or not.

Good news is that at this point, you probably have a female! It will be interesting to see how she grows up. Once the comb (however big or small it may be) appears, you will know she is getting ready to lay an egg.

Your bird looks like a very young bird, she hasn't grown her comb in yet. It'll grow over time, especially as she nears laying age.

Back
Top Bottom