My chick has an air bubble please help!

LoveMyChickenBabies

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Sep 11, 2018
Kansas USA
My chick that has a repository disease now also has a giant air bubble. I am so confused on what to do! I think I might lose her but not unless I have something to say about it! Is there anything I can do? (I will get pictures as soon as possible) she might even be lethargic, but I'm not sure.

My little buff orphington is around 2 months now, and she is wheezing, she has over-watered eyes, misplaced beak, not eating or drinking enough (I am dipping her beak in the water every so often and she does drink then), and she has snot coming out of her nose. I'm pretty sure it is a respiratory disease but I'm not completely sure. Does anyone know how I can cure/treat her? I don't want to lose her to this disease, I have already lost two others to it about 4 weeks ago.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/respiratory-disease.1275151/
My chick that has a repository disease now also has a giant air bubble. I am so confused on what to do! I think I might lose her but not unless I have something to say about it! Is there anything I can do? (I will get pictures as soon as possible) she might even be lethargic, but I'm not sure.
Just to make sure...is this the same chick you posted about earlier in the day?

Photos may help.

What is the giant air bubble? Where is that located? Could the air bubble be her crop?
By mis-placed beak - does she have cross/scissor beak?
I'm sorry you lost a couple of others, did they have similar symptoms?
What do you feed?
What is the housing like?

Mucous, watery eyes, going off feed and lethargy sounds like respiratory disease. If you have vet care, that is best.
Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, ILT and Infectious Coryza are some of the more common respiratory diseases. Molds, poor ventilation and ammonia from droppings can also cause respiratory distress, so check to make sure none of those are a factor.

You can try treating with an antibiotic like Tylan50 to see if that helps.
Dosage is .20ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days. If you can only give it 2 times a day, then increase the dosage to .30ml.

Do what you can to keep her hydrated.

Keep in mind that if she has a respiratory disease, even if she recovers, she will be a carrier. Other chickens that have been housed with her are considered exposed and carriers as well. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

If you happen to lose her, refrigerating the body and sending it to your state lab will give you answers. http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

She is the same chick. I'm not sure what the giant air bubble is but it is like a huge bubble right underneath her skin, located on the side/middle of her belly. I think It is cross but I'm still a tiny bit new to chickens so I'm not sure. Yes, they had similar symptoms but no air bubbles. I feed them scratch, pellets, and medicated crumbles. What do you mean by housing? Do you mean where she sleeps?

I will get pictures when I can :)

Last edited:
She is the same chick. I'm not sure what the giant air bubble is but it is like a huge bubble right underneath her skin, located on the side/middle of her belly. I think It is cross but I'm still a tiny bit new to chickens so I'm not sure. Yes, they had similar symptoms but no air bubbles. I feed them scratch, pellets, and medicated crumbles. What do you mean by housing? Do you mean where she sleeps?
I will get pictures when I can :)
We also recently cleaned out the coop because of mites and she had it the worst so I sprayed get the most. It might be important to say that.
Hopefully photos will help us understand about the air bubble.

Yes, housing means where they live - coop/run/brooder, etc.

What type of pellets are you feeding? If it's layer pellets, then eliminate those, stick with Chick Starter. Scratch is a treat so should be given in very small quantities and you need to make sure the chickens have a source of poultry grit (crushed granite) to help process those foods.

What did use to treat for mites?

A bird that has cross beak, depending on how severe, may need to be offer wet feed or food/water in deeper dishes. Some have a hard time eating dry feed due to the way the beak is. Photos of that would be good too.

I used a permethrin solution to treat the mites.
I am finally able to upload photos so here they are:
IMG_20181004_065740.jpg

The bubble is sort of under the wing.
IMG_20181004_065902.jpg
IMG_20181004_065811.jpg

In this one you can compare both sides. You can clearly see the difference between the left and right side.

How do we get poultry grit?
Poultry grit is available usually wherever chicken feed is sold, brand may vary.

I'm also having trouble telling exactly where the bulge/bubble is located, the birds positioning in the picture is a bit awkward. Whether it's the crop, abdomen, or elsewhere matters as to what to treat for. Sometimes it's very hard to tell from a picture enough detail. Is a vet an option for you at all?
If you are sure it's air, then I also wonder about a ruptured airsac or even airsaculitis, which is inflammation of the airsac caused by another illness, like a respiratory virus or bacterial infection, and for that you would need an appropriate antibiotic for whatever the underlying condition is, which is why I asked about a vet. Do you know what respiratory disease the chick has?

Back
Top Bottom