My chick has filled up with air, please help!

megg0728

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 6, 2015
Arkansas
I just recieved baby chicks in the mail yesterday. This was my first time ordering threw the mail. One of babies, a Salmon Favorolle, was very fat and round! I picked her up and she felt like she was about to pop! She looked like a balloon. Her skin was very tight, and she was so filled up that her legs were pushed to the side and she had to wobble to walk. After handling her more, a put her down then noticed she had deflated! I picked her up again and sure enough, the air was gone! I have no idea how it happened. She stayed deflated for maybe 24 hours, but has filed back up again. She is eating and drinking, and I have been keeping her vent clean. Please any help or advice on what this could be and how to fix it?

Attachments

• 20210415_133954.jpg
    20210415_133954.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20210416-121824_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210416-121824_Video Player.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 53
I just recieved baby chicks in the mail yesterday. This was my first time ordering threw the mail. One of babies, a Salmon Favorolle, was very fat and round! I picked her up and she felt like she was about to pop! She looked like a balloon. Her skin was very tight, and she was so filled up that her legs were pushed to the side and she had to wobble to walk. After handling her more, a put her down then noticed she had deflated! I picked her up again and sure enough, the air was gone! I have no idea how it happened. She stayed deflated for maybe 24 hours, but has filed back up again. She is eating and drinking, and I have been keeping her vent clean. Please any help or advice on what this could be and how to fix it?
Is she having any trouble breathing?

After handling her more, a put her down then noticed she had deflated! I picked her up again and sure enough, the air was gone! I have no idea how it happened. She stayed deflated for maybe 24 hours, but has filed back up again. She is eating and drinking, and I have been keeping her vent clean. Please any help or advice on what this could be and how to fix it?

You say gently handling her made her deflate the first time.
So I would try gently handling her again, to see if she deflates again.

I have no idea what caused it, or how to prevent it in future.

It sounds like a ruptured or leaking air sac, but those don’t normally clear up without being deflated with a needle. Is she puffed up in one certain area, such as her crop?

Ruptured air sacs occur when one part of the body is bumped or injured. In case it is a leaking or ruptured air sac, here is a video of how it can be deflated with a needle:

Edited to show the right video:

Last edited:
Ruptured air sacs occur when one part of the body is bumped or injured. In case it is a leaking or ruptured air sac, here is a video of how it can be deflated with a needle:

Don't think that is the right video. He said popping it with a needle caused the bird to go into respiratory problems because supposedly the whole body bubble was acting as a lung (?) and decided to euthanize.

Back
Top Bottom