My chick is out of the shell, but still in the shape of an egg.

IMmamaHen

Hatching
Mar 11, 2017
Nebraska
This is only my third batch of chicks that I have incubated. I have 2 incubators. One where they spend the first18 days. The humidity in that one is kept between 45 and 55 percent. The heat is at 100 degrees. My second incubator is were they hatch out. the humidity on that one is kept betweeen 65 and 70 percent. And my temperature is 100 degrees. I have 2 hens and I collect their eggs every day. I put 6 eggs in my first incubator at a time. First hatch 4 came out two do not. I threw the 2 away. But in that first hatch, I had one with a crooked beak. Second batch of 6, 3 hatched 3 did not. Through the 3 away. In this last batch of 6. I had 4 hatch out. And one had pipped. He didn't make much progress in 36 hours and the other chicks in the incubator with him were starting to peck the shell. So I woke up this morning and helped him hatch out of the shell, but once I got him out of the shell, he is stuck in the shape of an egg and looks matted. Like he had dried in the shell. What is going on with my little guy? And will he make it through?

Also, I would like to add. When I took him out of the shell, it looked like he had already pooped in the bottom of the shell. Any answers I am stumped and I cant find nothing.

Also, I would like to add. When I took him out of the shell, it looked like he had already pooped in the bottom of the shell. Any answers I am stumped and I cant find nothing.

Hes probably a little sticky and shrink wrapped. I would suggest if hes still sticky or he has stuff stuck to him to give him a bath with a wet sponge. Make sure the water is 100 F then dip the sponge and wipe him down keeping away from his nostrils.
You may find that as you wet him there will be a thin film that's stuck to parts of him. Also try to drip some chick saver or sugar water into your hand and get him to drink just make sure his head is down so water can not run into his nostrils. Once hes clean return to the incubator until hes up and fluffy. you may have to work with this guy for a while to get him hydrated and running around as hes been fighting to get out of the egg for 36 hours so hes probably exhausted

Thank you for you advice. I had spritzed him with a little bit of water to see if it would kind of melt off of him. He's doing a lot better, but I will try the sponge bath. Do you know what would have caused this because it didn't happen to any of the other chicks?

its normally especially if you have to assisted in the hatch. Once the egg is open theres only so much time before the membrane starts to dry out no matter how high the humidity is.
if I assist I like to get a warm bowl of water and keep my hands wet so all of the gunk is removed during the process.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom