My chick just hatched strong and on schedule but there is a bloody yol

sheepgal

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
Lexington Indiana
This is a first for me. This chick is one of many to hatch today...strong, loud and on time. However when I looked in the window I can see a bloody yolk sak hanging behind him. Why ???? If he was loud ,s trong, on time...is he messed up.
Should I go ahead and remove him? He is still breathing. This is so very sad. I have never seen this before.

Just leave him the little guy in the incubator. If he is strong and loud, I suspect he will be just fine
smile.png
I had one last year that just needed a little longer to get up and running around, but once the yolk dried up, he was fine.

I was falling asleep waiting for someone to help.....THANK YOU!!
However the yolk sak is a bit larger than you might think. Do you really think it will eventually dry up. Oh size ....1 tsp. maybe

I'd probably put a WET paper towel under it... and keep it in the bator. I did the same thing back in February and he is the biggest strongest leghorn roo of the bunch. I imagine he'll be delicious.

Yje chick will probably have problems as the yolk is suppose to be drawn up inside the chick for hios body to use it for first three days
(1.Yolk sac: This sac envelops the yolk and produces an enzyme that changes the yolk material to a form that can be used as a food source by the developing embryo. Any remaining, unused yolk material in the yolk sac when the chicken hatches from the egg is drawn into the abdomen for use by the chicken for the first two to three days after hatching while the chicken learns what to eat/drink and where to find it.
(2
DAY 19: The yolk sac containing the remaining yolk material starts to enter the chicken’s abdominal cavity. The chicken adopts a position to facilitate pipping of the shell by the beak.
DAY 20: The yolk sac is fully drawn into the abdominal cavity and the navel or umbilicus starts to close. The chicken’s beak penetrates the air cell and it takes it’s first breath i.e. pulmonary respiration commences.

info from
Yolk sac: This sac envelops the yolk and produces an enzyme that ... to three days after hatching while the chicken learns what to eat/drink and where to find it. ... blood vessels of the embryo and the yolk sac join. ...
www.poultryhub.org/index.php/Embryology_of_the_chicken - 29k -

So NO you can't take this off the chick
it would bleed to death. He may never get over this and have to be put to sleep.
you may have to put it alone for a couple weeks to see if it will dry up and then you can pick it off him
I would just put light on it in a grocery card board box and cover half the box top
I used a 1"x4" board and put a cermic light bulb socket on the board with plug in cord and keep it 98 degrees the first week and then drop 5 degrees 2nd week in heat
Glenda L Heywood
[email protected]
http://www.gkpet.com
click on pet forum

1 tsp is pretty big, but I wouldn't give up yet. Keep the humidity up in the incubator and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you and him....

Is he running around? The wet paper towel idea is a good one, but do it quickly if you try that - you don't want to risk the other eggs having difficulty hatching.

Back
Top Bottom