1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chick make noise!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Clarice19, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Clarice19

Clarice19 Just Hatched

Feb 29, 2016
    San Diego
    What do the different noises mean? Are they Happy or Nervous or Scared?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. As long as the chicks are running around, doing what chicks do, then the noise is a good sign that they are ok. If they are huddled next to a heat source and making noise, then they are too cold. As long as they are messing around, as chicks do, and eating and drinking then noise is a good thing. As to what the noise actually means, i prefer to avoid comparing chicken emotions with human ones - but using them as you have here, to try and explain your concern works well.

CT

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, they do. They make noise to communicate with each other. To show anger or fear, impatience (like wanting food) they have their own chirps. If they are very loud and keep repeating a frantic noise they make be in pain or very unhappy about something - to hot, to cold, being picked on by others, being trampled by others. , or sometimes just being very frightened .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by