1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chick swallowed something

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Person1234, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Person1234

Person1234 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2014
    My chick just swallowed a big piece of fabric (compared to it's size )I'm afraid it's not going to be able to digest it and it will get stuck

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG]

So how old is your chick ?????

In most cases it will just pass with out any problems but do make sure your chick gets plenty of water and keep an eye on your little bundle of joy ......

3. Person1234

Aug 28, 2014
    My chick is about 4 weeks old

4. gander007

Is this young chick running around on the floor ?????

4 weeks is a bit young and I truly understand your worry as I have plenty of chicks that age running around the yard and I always have to check for objects flying into the yard from the wind but it should pass but do try to keep it in a confined area a bit longer unless it is with a momma hen .....

You will be surprised at all the different things chicks will try to eat so a word of caution they love string so pick up any you see on the ground or where they can get to it ......

How is the little chick doing now is it running around and acting normal ?????

5. Person1234

Aug 28, 2014
    Yes it seems normal it's eating and drinking water

6. gander007

That is the most important thing and your chick has a great crop that will do wonders on the fabric to break it down but keep a watch on him/her and if your chick is eating and drinking water everything is fine ........

When I open my front door the chicks are the worst at just running into the house just no respect at all and if anything is on the floor they snatch it right up and they are just so fast ......

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. As long as your chick is eating and drinking normally, it should be fine. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chick.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You've revived good advice above. Hope your chick is ok!:)

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

All you can do is watch her. It should move through as long as this fabric was not really long. Chickens eat all kinds of crazy things and pass them.

Keep us posted! If she is not sick in 24 hours, she is probably ok. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] hope your chick continues to do well - please keep other items away from her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by