My chick.

DISV

Hatching
Aug 4, 2016
Hey. I've got a chick (born July 27) and I'm having some concerns about it.
One, it doesn't eat anything else but dried up corn. I don't know if this is normal for a baby or what..
Two, I've noticed he sits and stands up immediately afterwards (does this several times back to back). So I can't tell if hes just sleepy or perhaps too fat and can't hold its weight (my sisters said it looks fat but he looks normal to me). I did drop him once by accident, like a foot from the floor. He did limp for a few minutes but seemed fine later on..so idk if that had anything to do with it.

Greetings from Kansas, DISV, and :welcome. Great to have you in our community! I do not think the 1 foot drop likely injured your chick...they are quite resilient. I am a little concerned about the cracked corn diet. Young chicks need a more protein rich food than straight grain, plus it is difficult for them to digest it (they lack grit in their gizzard to grind up raw grain). You can introduce some grit onto their chick starter food...an amount approximate to about how you would salt your food. Not sure why it sits and then stands? After each peck of food or after it is done eating? Also, what breed of chick is it? I wouldn't expect any week old chick to be fat. More info please, if you have it. :)

Last edited:
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! You have some great advice above about your chick which I agree with. Good luck with your chick and enjoy BYC :frow

I think it is an Austra white-though I'm not quite sure. I've never raised chickens before nor do I know much about them. I only have this guy because he was almost burned and was going to be let go into the wild. I told my sister to bring it home because I didn't want it to die out there. It does it quite often. I'm outside with it right now and it's keep doing it (usually it walks/runs around). The corn is already crushed to make it easier for the bird to eat..and I've tried giving him other foods but he just smells it then walks away. Yeah haha, I didn't think he was too fat.

Back
Top Bottom