Sero

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2023
My chickens beak is broken, what do I do and what do I feed her
IMG_1605.jpeg
IMG_1606.jpeg
IMG_1607.jpeg

She won’t eat or drink anything bc of her beak what do I do

Are you sure it's all the way through? My rooster lost half of his beak last week. I left him alone and he's fine now. Of course he was eating though.

Poor girl. It is extremely tender right now so she may not eat much for a day or two. I would suggest moistening her food so it is softer and less painful for her to eat. The beak should heal up fine though but it will take a while to get back to what it was.

Are you sure it's all the way through? My rooster lost half of his beak last week. I left him alone and he's fine now. Of course he was eating though.
All I know was that is was bleeding and she can’t eat cus it hurts, to me it looks like a flake

Make sure that it is just flaked off, and not cracked through. A flaked off beak should grow back in eventually, but will be tender for a few days. A broken beak might need repaired with an empty tag bag cut to size with superglue. I would see how she does for a day or two before trying anything serious.

I would give her some wet food so it's easier to eat. If she is not eating on her own you could try putting the food directly in her mouth with a tube or something

Make sure that it is just flaked off, and not cracked through. A flaked off beak should grow back in eventually, but will be tender for a few days. A broken beak might need repaired with an empty tag bag cut to size with superglue. I would see how she does for a day or two before trying anything serious.
How can I feed her

IMG_4420.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

This was what happened to my rooster last July. I gave him pellets and also mash made from the crumbles. He didn't eat much the first day or so. I saw him eat some of the pellets, as they were bigger pieces, and some of the mash too.

You can see the raw quick under that flake. It dried and hardened up in about a week, then the flake peeled off.
IMG_4464.JPG

He will probably eat and drink when he is hungry and thirsty. Fluids are most important. Offer water, wet and dry crumbles or pellets. Make a mash of his food with warm water. Scrambled egg or a bit of tuna may entice him.

Back
Top Bottom