My chicken’s stopped laying eggs

Drmmrswife

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2020
So all of the sudden my chickens have stopped laying eggs. I have 8 hens 2 roosters a duck and a goose. They all live happily together in the same coop. Has been that way for 2 years. Then 3 of my chickens started brooding so they stopped laying one of the brooders killed one of the others for her nest. So then I only had 2. That’s fine it happens sad but true then all the sudden everyone stopped laying I thought maybe mites so I cleaned out everything powdered and put in new bedding and straw. That was 2 weeks ago. We have 6 babies now for about 10 days but still no eggs. They get a all flock food, scratch, meal worms, veggies, grit and oyster shells not sure what to do any suggestions would be great
Thanks

At two years of age I would guess they are going into a molt and a normal break in their laying cycle.
How long is it reasonable to expect a normal break in a laying cycle? Our 12 hens suddenly stopped laying mid August and we now only get 2 - 3 eggs per day. so that is 2.5 months ago...

How long is it reasonable to expect a normal break in a laying cycle? Our 12 hens suddenly stopped laying mid August and we now only get 2 - 3 eggs per day. so that is 2.5 months ago...
How old are they? If they're older than 18 months or close to that, and you are in the northern hemisphere, they will likely not lay again until some time after winter solstice when days start getting longer again.

Last year mine were just over a year and they went into molt and pretty much stopped laying early November, and started up again in January.
This year at 2 they went into molt earlier and stopped laying early October.
They need all their energy ro rebuild feathers, and add to that the shorter daylight hours & it's to be expected.

How old are they? If they're older than 18 months or close to that, and you are in the northern hemisphere, they will likely not lay again until some time after winter solstice when days start getting longer again.
Thank you for your reply. It makes sense. And yes, when we recently cleaned the coop there were a lot of feathers. Pleased to know that we are not missing something that they need/

Back
Top Bottom