My chicken adventure begins with losing my front yard.

Thanks I first used welded wire then found out raccoons could reach through that's when I added a layer of poultry mesh a boards width away.

Hahaha that happens a lot with having chickens but there is something so satisfying colllecting your own fresh eggs and not buying eggs from chickens raised with snipped beaks in crowded conditions.. and they grow on you!

When I chose to enter the backyard chicken experience I filed for a permit as required in Webster Groves, Missouri. A requirement of the permit application is to show the coop to scale on the property. This is when I discovered my fenced in backyard and front yard were actually side yards and what was the fenced backyard at least for the last 50 years since this house was built was no longer a backyard.
Turns out that a couple of years ago when the BYC ordinance was being drafted the backyard was the only place that could contain chickens so, the backyard had to be defined.
For a corner lot (my property is a corner lot) the front of the property faces the shorter of the two property lines. Every since the house was built it faced the street with the longer property line.
Anyway I was determined to have a few chickens (the permit allows up to 8 with no Roos) so I fenced in my new backyard ($2,000) ,designed and built a chicken tractor

I calculate my first eggs from my 4 girls are expected In the middle of January will have a value of about $85 a dozen for the first year or so. I don't care, I am looking forward to the eggs but I am loving raising the girls.

Actually 1/2" hardware cloth proves the best for repelling predators. I'm a dog lover, so I have to comment, I love the eyes. I have never seen a doxie that color tho, is that called brindle?

Quote:
Yes, That's what I would call a brindle. I have never seen a dauschund that color either.

Back
Top Bottom