My chicken can't produce egg shell

BeateO

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
For the past 7 month I have not been able to diagnose/treat/fix my chickens inability to produce an egg shell. She's a 2.5 year old RIR and started early summer to just lay "egg yolk" (its a mess to clean up daily... but I'm more worried about her health). She then got sick (the other Chicken too), both were lethargic and slept all day, so I tried vitamins, electroliytes, Oyster-shells, deworming, pampering. Both made a full recovery after 2 month. Than the RIR went into molt, followed by winter start. She tried to lay on and off but always without shell. She just now started again and after all this time and various treatments I was hoping that whatever bug is causing it, would be gone, but apparently not. if its stress related from environment in the coop at light (I live near the city), I could not change it. The area is secured, so no predators come near the coop, but the neigborhood is full of barking dogs and coons. I don't want to get rid of her, but also can't indefinitely clean the nest box daily from liquid egg remnants. Any creative ideas that I could try? Thanks!!

If you know for a fact that she's getting plenty of calcium (i.e. you've tried directly supplementing her consistently for several weeks or more) then the problem is internal to her, likely a shelling gland issue that probably cannot be resolved.
I'll try calcium powder. Hard to tell if they eat the oyster shell that I put out there and I don't have crab shells at the moment which they really like. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom