My chicken can't see šŸ˜­

Nooo! Donā€™t use alcohol near eyes! Foamy eyes should be cleaned with eye wash as you are doing, and wipe them off. Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel are some products that can help. Just having foamy eyes will affect her eyesight. If you see any sneezing or labored breathing, you could treat with Tylosin, an antibiotic that fights mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG. MG is a chronic contagious respiratory disease.

I've been flushing but that was it..so I need to get some Terramycin..ok thank you, I definitely will!

clean it with alcohol and use eye drops from walmart. tylan 200 1cc oral in mouth will cure it too.
Please do not put alcohol in the eye. Please don't use that dosing for the Tylan200 either! Even at MAX dosing that's too high of a dose.

@New chix mom3 I would increase flushing the eye to 2-3 times a day (use Saline!) and apply the Terramycin. Can you tell is she's got anything in the eye, maybe something stuck in it or was it injured?

Itā€™s hard to see our little sweeties like that. I hope she feels better soon. I absolutely adore my own Silkies. I agree with others that it could be respiratory issues.

Please do not put alcohol in the eye. Please don't use that dosing for the Tylan200 either! Even at MAX dosing that's too high of a dose.

@New chix mom3 I would increase flushing the eye to 2-3 times a day (use Saline!) and apply the Terramycin. Can you tell is she's got anything in the eye, maybe something stuck in it or was it injured?
I was flushing it with saline 2x a day but I'll increase that! I'm trying to find some Terramycin, is that a prescription? I thought it was over the counter but can't find it..and I wouldn't use alcohol in the eye..ouchhhh!!!! She allows me to pull her eyelid down for the "flush" and I haven't seen anything in it and I've looked! Her eye looks cloudy grayish looking if you can picture that! I've even gently massaged under her eyes to see if something was in there deep but nothing came to the surface? She's one of the "bosses" so I don't know what happened šŸ˜­..it's breaking my heart trying to watch her eat..she's almost to the ground getting it but not quite there so she gives up and moves somewhere else..I can't handle that so I get food in my hand and will sit there with her until she seems full enough..

The Terramycin is otc in the US. Usually you can find it at TSC, but they may have it in a locked case and you have to ask for it. You may need to order it online depending on where you live. If you can't get that, then you can use Original Neosporin in the eye.

Can you provide a larger bowl of feed raised on a block for her to eat out of? It may be easier. Is it only the one eye or both?
1642304287457.png

The Terramycin is otc in the US. Usually you can find it at TSC, but they may have it in a locked case and you have to ask for it. You may need to order it online depending on where you live. If you can't get that, then you can use Original Neosporin in the eye.

Can you provide a larger bowl of feed raised on a block for her to eat out of? It may be easier. Is it only the one eye or both?
View attachment 2962119
I've looked everywhere and can't find any..even within a 45min radius and still nothing..I do have regular neosporin..I also have her food dish hanging higher in air for her and she also eats out of my hand..I think she may be able to slightly see out if one eye only because when she turns a certain way it's like she sees it in my hand and will come over and eat..I had no idea you could use neosporin..I feel horrible I would've done it a few days ago!! I'm a bad chicken mom dag gone it! I'm sorry šŸ˜­

:hugs It's o.k.!
See how it goes and hopefully the eye will improve. If it doesn't in a few days, then I would administer an oral antibiotic as well to see if you can knock out whatever this is.
It may be Mycoplasma, but there's other causes of eye infection as well. Tylan/Tylosin would be what I'd go with if you can get it.

Just want to chime in - yes, this. I have a hen who has been nearly blind since she was about three months old. She was given to me a couple of years ago and she's amazing.

For water, my girl can see red a little, so her water container has a red base so it's easier for her to see. For food, she eats out of a large dog dish that can't turn over. When I put food in the dish, I tap it (its metal) and she knows the taping means I added food and she will come running. Both food and water need to stay in the same location it has always been because animals have a good memory of where things were before their eyesight went. (I've also had a couple of blind cats. We didn't realize they had gone blind until one day, someone moved a chair to a different location and suddenly the two cats started walking into it, and tried to jump into a chair that was no longer there. :oops:)

My other hens bully her a lot, so I keep her separate. You might want to keep an eye on her because your other hens might start to bully your blind one too once they realize it. Hope she regains her eyesight! šŸ˜Š

:hugs It's o.k.!
See how it goes and hopefully the eye will improve. If it doesn't in a few days, then I would administer an oral antibiotic as well to see if you can knock out whatever this is.
It may be Mycoplasma, but there's other causes of eye infection as well. Tylan/Tylosin would be what I'd go with if you can get it.
I do have some vetericyn spray..from what I'm reading about it, it says it can be used for the eye? What's your thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom