my chicken can't walk

melrmidd

Hatching
May 21, 2015
Hello, I'm a new member, and new to chickens... We have had an accident. We bought a new feeder for our chicks, (they are still in a brooder in our laundry room.) My husband was hanging it up, hooking to our wired shelving, and a book came crashing down and landed on a chick.she is RIR, about 5 weeks old, that isn't walking, she will sit with legs in front of her. She's hardly eating or drinking. I can't feel any breaks, she will push off with her legs to scooch to a more comfortable position. She's real quite, alert, I imagine that she is still in shock since this happened yesterday evening. She will chirp in certain positions, usually sitting upright. I don't want her to suffer, but I also want to give her a chance. She is now only pooping white, and of course sticking to her feathers near the vent. This morning I found her sitting but with legs in front of her, last night she'd only lay down on one side. I thought for sure after the accident she was dead, but she has managed to stay alive. She is separated from everyone else, laying on soft bedding with food and water close by. I check on her every 30 mins to try to get her to drink or eat. I have tried giving her watered down cream of wheat, and she's taken only a little. I can't feel any breaks, and can't really decide if maybe her hips are dislocated, or broken. Also she won't curl her toes, her feet are a little cold...
Is there anyone that can help me?

Welcome to BYC. She may have internal injuries if she doesn't have any stool coming through. The white in the dropping is urates. You can place her in a homemade chick chair or sling to get her upright. I would get or make some vitamins with electrolytes and give to her in her water with a dropper, or by dipping her beak and letting her drink. You can also use Pedialyte or Gatorade from a grocery store, but SaveAChick is a good brand, and here is a recipe for homemade electrolytes:

1/2 tsp of salt substitute (potassium)
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of baking soda
3 tsp of sugar
1 gallon of water

You can divide this recipe by 4 to make a quart or liter

LL
59765_pp.jpg
sling+1.png

Thank you so very much! I will try this.
She now has milky urates.. . Does this mean she's not getting enough to drink? Or the inevitable is happening?

Last edited:
Please feed her the electrolyte mixture as often as you can get her to drink, or by dropper. Offer her some raw or cooked chopped egg, and add some of the liquid to a small amount of her chick crumbles. I hope by tomorrow she starts to improve.

Back
Top Bottom