My chicken caught a mouse in the yard!

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
We were so surprised. We were out moving a bunch of dirt around in the yard and the chickens were out running around. Next thing I know is that my husband is yelling that the chicken caught a mouse. Sure enough she was carrying it by it's tail and 3 of the others were following her like they had found the grand prize!

That is the best! A bit bizarre, but wonderful. They are like little dinosaurs. Did you let them eat it? Our girls have chased a few field mice, but they've always gotten away.

Did they eat it??? I found a mangled mole (or maybe a vole???) in my run today, and was wondering whether the girls had killed it??? Some say their chickens will eat mice, but a few of my girls wouldn't even take on a large cicada...lol

I love hearing about the dinosaur/ chickens mousie hunting! They are such great scavengers. Mine - especially the Buffys - are huntresses. I have a vernal pool on the edge of the property that is a breeding ground for wood & green frogs. I have seen the Buffys stalk frogs - once they've sighted one, they will not easily give up the hunt. I love watching them do the dance with their prize, and then, down the hatch in one gulp!

Ours catch mice, voles, shrews, etc. all the time. They've even got the barncat bringing them dead things to eat.
sickbyc.gif

A field mouse, tiny little thing, cute as a button, has taken up residence inside the plastic walls of my playhouse coop. Every time I see it, it manages to zip into a hole in the plastic wall the size of a dime. Or smaller. Then, if the light is right, I can see it scamper across the inside of the wall. I had seen it in the run before, and so had one of my cats. She has been hunting it, but it's very quick and can get through holes in fences which cats cannot follow through.

So I'm hoping ANY of my girls, even the ones not using the playhouse as their coop, will eventually catch this mouse and any of its kin. Where there's one, there's more of 'em.

I read these tales with hope!

I don't know if they ate it because they all ran in the bushes with it. I have seen them with frogs too!

Back
Top Bottom