My chicken coop and run

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

Songster
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
Jacksonville N.C
So we got our chickens and raised them from chicks. That use to be my playhouse inside theres an perch. The food and water is hung under the metal canopy. The entire area is fenced in. Is this ok for them to live in? They have been living here but I worry still.
107523_hpim3620.jpg

We live in the western part of the state and have quite a few predators so our coop is built like fort knox:) I don't know what kinds of preditors you might have so it's hard to say if your birds will be safe our not, how long have you had them?

Looks like there might be all kinds of creepy things that might pay a visit to your feathered friends. I would be inclined to make it more preditor proof. Some things to consider would be snakes going after the fresh eggs or the chickens and the birds overhead that might swoop down and have themselves an easy chicken dinner.

Just some things to ponder as you grow with your chickens.

Jacksonville, FL ?? In my opinion there is no way to safeguard the chicks. I would think that you may want to put them in a locked enclosure each and every night. Free ranging in an area that looks like it can house and hide many predators seems to me you need to cut back a specific area just the chickens. The coop need to be completely enclosed including a underground cloth to prevent digging in. However if my memory serves me Florida is known for snakes and creepy things anyway. You may want to put 1/4 mesh screen to prevent anything other than insects to get through.

JMHO

I would be certain to some how make it preditor proof. It seems like every animal possible looks at chickens as their next meal!!! I wouldn't trust my chickens in that coop.

jacksonville, nc- i think we are looking at pretty much the same animals that will take our birds...fox,opossum, coons, and hawks. if it were me, i would secure it up some more. at least a secure enclosure for night time. if you are at home during the day and have an ear and eye on them, they could probably free range. looks like you butt right up to the woods also.

I would at least put wire over the playhouse windows, and maybe some under the playhouse so that they can't dig under it.

Screw hardware cloth over the window/door openings, and add a latch that can be secured each night with a carabiner or lock, and as long as you make sure they are inside the housing each night, they should be fine. If the playhouse doesn't have a floor in it, then I would attach wire around the bottom too to make sure nothing can dig under it.

I'am in jacksonville n.c. My chickens are fenced in, they can't go around the yard I relize that you can't see the fence in the pic. We have cats, fox,opossum, coons, and hawks. An cat would have to jump on to an unstable tarp Or over bushes. How would an opossum get in? There is an light and dogs, the chicken area is half of the dog pen. What would be an coon detourent? Right now I'am tying fishing line around the pen os the hawks will have trouble. We used to be backed up to the woods but someone cut them down now its more like an tall grassed feild with logs. I will try to put wire over the coop windows. your seggustions are helping thanks
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom