my chicken coop. complete safe.

1Bugzie

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2015

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Certainly no predators are going to tear through the chain link protecting your coop. If you want to make it completely predator proof however, you should cover that chain link in hardware cloth. Some predators such as weasels, snakes, and rats will have no problems squeezing through the holes in the chain link mesh. Also raccoons will reach their paws through and tear off your chickens' limbs. Make sure that you have either padlocks or double action latches on your coop door as raccoons can easily figure out how to open a single action latch. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

I have seen domestic dogs tear chain link apart (at the edges or attachment points) more than once, I suspect a larger wild K9, bear, mountain lion or bobcat could do the same if inclined...

I probably should have qualified my statement. If the chain link is installed properly, no predator is going to tear through it. We had a small zoo in the old city park where I grew up which had some bears, a tiger, and a gorilla in it and all of these animals were kept in chain link cages (no bars) and none of them ever escaped. Of course their were no loose edges or attachment points in those cages.

A large animal such as a bear or mountain lion could probably brake our gate. And small animals like mice or snakes i don't think i have to worry about. My cat caught a mouse in the field by my house once. Then i guess she lost interest in it because i found it by our stairs. So i picked it up and took it to our chickens. Once i thrown it over fence, they all come over and looked it for a minute then started attacking it. I was surprised, i had not heard of a chicken attacking a mouse before. And i ony get water snakes. Which i hardly ever see.
And my family and i are working on another coop for the winter. Its much bigger. Any suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom