My Chicken Died after a week with leg paralysis

chicoletta

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 28, 2014
About a week ago, I noticed that my 12 week old pearl leghorn was limping on one leg. I took her out and checked her over and tested the leg, but she showed no signs of pain and still had movement. I thought she might have injured herself jumping around the coop or the yard, so I decided to keep an eye on her and see what developed.

By the next day, she had no use of the leg and was dragging it behind her, pecking at it and just generally flopping around. She still had use of the other leg, and was eating and drinking normally. I checked her foot very carefully for signs of bumblefoot, and didn't see any. I turned her over and moved her leg around. Still no protest or signs of pain, but there was no resistance and the leg was very loose and almost "hanging". I checked to make sure that her tendons were in place, and that wasn't it.

A day or so later, she had lost the use of her other leg. The toes still curled but there was the same general weakness as I saw in the first leg. The toes were curled under and her feet looked like little fists. At this point, I had her separated in a small area. She was still alert and sweet and eating and drinking normally. Her stools were also normal.

I was afraid it might be mareks, but she had been vaccinated as a chick and I wasn't seeing any further progression of the "paralysis". I wasn't even sure that it WAS paralysis, but she definitely didn't have use of either leg. I had read about vitamin B deficiency, so I started her on liquid B in her water and she drank it right up. I was also giving her mash of egg yolk, chicken feed, yogurt and a few cut up grapes or grated carrot and apple.

For a day or so, she seemed better, creeping around on her hocks and foraging a little. I still kept her separated during the day, but was in the coop at night with the others, where she kept to herself in a corner.

This morning, I went out to the coop and it looked like a bomb had gone off. There litter was everywhere, the food and water had been overturned and my poor chicken was lying half buried in the shavings. I let the others out first, then went to see about her. She was lying in what turned out to be a puddle of her own blood and feces. It seemed like a lot of blood loss... At first, I thought she was already dead, but she was still breathing. She opened her eyes, but didn't move. I placed her on a towel in a pet carrier, and she just lay here. I cleaned off the shavings and checked her over. She was not pecked or injured but her vent was slimed with the bloody feces.

I attended to the other chickens and then went back to her. She had pooped all over the towel and it was mostly blood. She couldn't lift her head. At this point, I had to say goodbye and put her down. There was no way that her life was bearable with what looked like a lot of suffering. Her sweet little light had gone out of the world.

I'm posting this to ask that if any of you have any experience with this, please tell me what likely happened and how to prevent it from happening to my other chickens. Also, so that if anyone is having this experience now, maybe you can learn from mine.

Be peaceful, my beautiful Chicoletta.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am not personally experienced with these specific symptoms, so I hope someone is able to help you more specifically and answer your questions.

A few things to note: Marek's vaccination is not an immunity to Marek's. It only helps chickens build resistance. It helps often, but not all the time. Vaccinated birds can still suffer from Marek's disease.
Vitamin deficiency, as you mentioned, can surely cause neurological problems. Your experience was pretty rapid, so while it's important not to rule this out, it is somewhat less suspect.

Personally, I would suspect two main causes:
1) Disease causing paralysis and lameness, with a secondary infection causing the bleeding out as you described. When a chicken's immune system is compromised by disease, they are much more succeptible to secondary infections and problems, such as Coccidiosis. Cocci seems to love pairing up with immuno-supressing diseases such as Marek's, which can make diagnosis more complicated. There are a number of diseases and problems that can cause paralysis, or partial paralysis/loss of leg use. I will list some below.
2) Lead or other heavy metal toxcity. This manifests often as leg issues and paralysis. In cases where small amounts of lead were consumed (some leaded paint chips, a single BB shot, etc) sometimes it just manifests as leg issues and sometimes mild seizures. If a larger amount of lead were consumed (several BBs, a piece of waste metal, etc), one would generally see (partial or more) paralysis issues, followed by worse seizures and bleeding through the vent. This might be the aftermath of what you found in the coop-- a bad seizure or series of seizures followed by vent bleeding.

A few possible symptoms of lead toxicity (you may see only one symptom, or many):
  • Weakness - falling over -called Ataxia; falling of perch; unable to walk, stand or fly straight
  • Shallow respiration
  • Anorexia / reduced appetite
  • Decreased body weight
  • Polyuria, polydipsia
  • Diarrhea
  • Hemolytic anemia
  • Kidney dysfunction
  • Cyanosiss
  • Possible liver and pancreatic abnormalities
  • Regurgitation
  • Pale mucous membranes
  • Shivering
  • Melena
  • Leg issues, paralysis, lameness
  • Vomiting of food.
  • Seizures
  • Bloody, watery droppings
  • Severely affected birds may die suddenly

This is all speculation of course, but it is the best thing I can think of. Chickens love to dig and can unearth old lead that homeowners never even knew was there. This is especially true for properties that had houses, farms, or other living areas prior to the 1960s. Lead was used very often in components and as we know lead paint was everywhere. Leaded fuel, etc... it was used a lot. Even now, lead shot is used by hunters frequently (banned for waterfowl hunting, but still legal for all other bird hunting) and a single shot blast can contain anywhere from 50 to over 500 lead bb pellets. These pellets look perfectly like grit to birds and they are often ingested. I have been told by vets and rehabilitators that they see hundreds of birds with lead poisoning every year from this. It takes very little. Is there any chance at all that your bird could have found some lead?

Anyhow here is a list of things that can cause leg paralysis and issues, in case anything rings a bell for you:

• Avian Lymphoid Leukosis is a disease that can cause Marek's like symptoms, though signs are usually only visible upon necropsy. This virus causes lymphomas, much like Marek's disease, throughout organ tissue. Most chickens with this virus will experience weakness, and will "waste away" over time, becoming more and more emaciated as the tumors spread. This viral disease is often thought to be the 'sister disease' to Marek's, as it is very similar in many ways. Unlike Marek's disease, it can be transmitted through the egg (vertically) from parent to chick. Of important note, there have been some signs that in individual chickens with a genetic predisposition, that Serotype-2 Marek's vaccine (only hatcheries have this vaccine) may cause this disease to more rapidly harm the infected chicken. http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/neoplasms/lymphoid_leukosis_in_poultry.html
  • Heavy Metal Toxicity in chickens (and other fowl, such as ducks) can look very similar to Marek's paralysis. Lead toxicity seems to be the most common for birds like chickens, that unlike other pet birds such as parrots, generally do not chew on metal objects but may swallow small metallic objects whole. Lead shot, BBs, pellets, (etc) are often mistaken for stones and ingested to aid the bird in digestion. A single BB or piece of lead shot is enough to cause serious illness in a large fowl chicken, or even eating old lead paint flakes, or finding them in the soil is enough to harm a chicken-sized bird. Heavy metal toxicity is one of the leading medical problems that vets and wildlife rehabilitators see in ground dwelling birds such as chickens, ducks, and geese, so it can be somewhat common. Symptoms include neurological issues such as partial or total paralysis of one or both legs and sometimes the wings. With lead toxicity, lesions of the nervous system and elevated white blood counts can also mimic Marek's infection. X-rays and/or blood tests might be necessary to diagnose this problem. Treatment generally involves injections of a chelating agent such as Calsenate. Large metal objects may need to be surgically removed. This problem is very hard to diagnose without veterinary help. For more reading: http://www.birdclinic.net/avian1.htm http://www.avianweb.com/heavymetalpoisoningbirds.html
  • Botulism in fowl can also mimic the symptoms of Marek's, in that it often causes neurological distress and paralysis. Often birds with botulism will present leg weakness, and neck weakness or paralysis. This can come on quite suddenly or gradually, depending on how much of the Botulism toxin has been consumed by the bird. Botulism is caused by the consumption of the toxin, either from decaying material (usually decaying carcasses) or eating an abundance of invertebrates that have been infected with the Botulsim toxin (such as maggots that have been feeding on decaying material). Generally, if a bird survives more than 48 hours, it will recover, so if Botulism is suspected in birds with sudden paralysis, immediate treatment is necessary. For more reading on Botulism consult the following: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/botulism/overview_of_botulism_in_poultry.html and http://www.avianweb.com/botulism.html
  • Egg Binding is obviously only a concern in hens, but an egg bound hen will often squat, lay down, act lethargic, and seem as if she can not use her legs properly. She may waddle, or fall over easily, or use her wings for balance. Severe egg binding or internal laying and other reproductive problems can also cause a hen to "walk like a penguin". If you have a hen displaying ANY of these signs, it is important to check her for egg binding right away before trying any other treatments. Egg bound hens must be assisted quickly as they can die rather quickly. A cloacal exam may be necessary. Though this seems rude, it may save her life. Using a glove and a lubricated finger, feel inside and up her vent to see if you can feel an egg. More information and treatment: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html
  • Parasites can cause otherwise healthy chickens to exhibit a variety of sickly symptoms that might be mistaken for Marek's. An abundance of external (mites, lice, ticks) and/or internal (various worms and protozoa) can cause lethargic behaviors, poor balance, anemia, off-colored combs and wattles, poor quality droppings, decreased appetite, and various other "generic" poorly symptoms. Internal parasites are NOT always visible in droppings and so a visual diagnosis is not an accurate way to determine if your bird has internal parasites. External parasites such as mites can be very tiny and may require a lot of examination to see. If you see these symptoms, consider using an appropriate treatment to take care of worms and/or external parasites in your flock. Birds can "get" worms, mites, and lice in all weather, and some individuals might have it worse than others. It is very important to treat properly if you suspect an active infestation; preventative measures such as (Diatomaceous Earth, Garlic, Pumpkin Seeds, Wood Ash, Apple Cider Vinegar, etc) may help prevent parasites but can not hope to cure a bird that is acting ill from a large parasite load. Valbazen is generally regarded by many chicken keepers to be the best broad-spectrum wormer: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/606881/valbazen-de-worming-question For external parasites, attempt to find out what sort of "bug" you are dealing with, and administer treatment based on your findings and unique coop situation. There are many products that work well, but many insecticides can have negative health impacts (both on chickens and their keepers) if used improperly, so it is best to research and use the one you are most comfortable with. Always use such products as directed.
  • Ear / Inner Ear problems or Infection can cause very Marek's-like symptoms in afflicted birds. Much like in humans, inner ear function is important to the balance in chickens, and if the bird is experiencing an infection or growth in the ear, the bird may demonstrate any of the following: dizziness/vertigo, nausea, weakness, loss of appetite, balance issues (etc). It is easy to see why this might look like Marek's. A few keepers with this problem have reported the chicken doing flips, and even tumor-like swelling near the ear. It is important to do a careful exam of both ears. Look for swelling, discharge, clogging, or discoloration. The small, stiff bristle-like feathers covering the ear opening may need to be gently spread to look into the ear canal (a small flashlight can be of value here!). Deep inner ear infections may have very few outward signs. Chickens with ear problems sometimes shake their head repeatedly, or scratch often at the head/ear region. Treatment includes careful and gentle cleansing of the ear/removal of physical blockages, and a round (minimum 7-10 days) of appropriate antibiotics. It is best to consult with a veterinarian if possible regarding dosage and proper antibiotics.
  • Avian Encephalomyelitis is a disease that can cause paralysis in chickens. It can also affect turkeys, quail, pheasants and pigeons. Like Marek's, this disease can show up as birds losing coordination, leg paralysis and/or weakness, including sitting on the hocks, neck spasms, and tremors. This disease is mostly observed in chicks, under the age of three weeks. As chicks less than three weeks can not develop Marek's paralysis, be sure to investigate the possibility of Avian Encephalomyelitis if you experience these symptoms in young chicks. Read more: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...itis/overview_of_avian_encephalomyelitis.html
  • Viral tenosynovitis is a viral form of arthritis that is transmitted in chickens and turkeys. Transmission is generally via fecal material of infected birds. Infected birds experience lameness and hock inflammation, swelling of the tendon sheaths (the 'tubes' that the leg tendons are encased in), and general lack of mobility of the legs. It is most commonly seen in commercial meat birds and has been reported less commonly in commercial leghorns in the past. Photos with more info (warning, necropsy images): http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/200/reovirus-infections
  • Mycoplasma synoviae (MS) is another disease of poultry that might look like Marek's. This bacterial disease affects chickens and turkeys, but may also infect other commonly kept fowl. It is a relatively common disease, and easily transmitted. Like Marek's, symptoms include lameness/paralysis of the legs and reluctance to stand and walk, as well as blue/purple comb and or wattles due to respiratory distress. The hock (ankle) and wing joints may become swollen. Birds may also experience rales (roughness of breath, rattling, wheezing) and may have some respiratory discharge. http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...nfection_in_poultry_infectious_synovitis.html
  • Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) is similar to MS, in that it is a mycoplasma infection, is very common in chickens, and is easily spread. It can cause paralysis and lameness in birds, similar to Marek's, but is generally accompanied by respiratory distress, sometimes severe in nature. Respiratory distress can include but is not limited to: rales (rasping, wheezing), coughing, sneezing, nasal discharge, bubbling or discharge around the eyes, expelling mucus, and overall difficulty breathing. http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...lasma_gallisepticum_infection_in_poultry.html
  • Mold, Moldy Feed, Stale/Old Feed (Aspergillosis) is a serious problem, as mold in grain, especially corn, is known to grow aflatoxins. Most of the aflatoxin problems on corn are caused by Aspergillus flavus, and the most potent toxin produced by this mold is called aflatoxin B1. These toxins may have degenerative effect on the nervous system of birds, causing Aspergillosis, which appears similar to Marek's such as weakness, paralysis, or spasms, along with pale combs, weight loss, and lethargic behavior. Aspergillosis is often reported alongside with respiratory issues, but it is very important to note that it often presents without them as well! It is a common ailment that can be attributed to overall poor health in a bird. It is very important to investigate feed, both bagged and in the bird's environment, to make sure it is fresh and free of mold. Check manufacturing dates when possible. Stale and old feed may not be moldy in appearance, but due to age might have a greater chance to harbor aflatoxins. Molds may not be visible to the naked eye, so when in doubt, discard old feed and supply birds with fresh feed. If you find moldy feed or suspect moldy feed and see any changes in health in your flock, immediately discontinue access to affected feed! A single source of aflatoxins in grain can affect many birds depending on the source of the feed. Read more: http://www.mycotoxins.info/myco_info/animpy_sr.html More information, and treatment: http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/mould_infections.html
  • Injury to the body, and especially to the head, can cause paralysis-like symptoms that look similar to Marek's. It is important to carefully check for hidden injuries, gently palpate bones for breakage, and observe your bird carefully to determine if injury is a factor. Injuries may be internal and not visible via simple physical exam. Head injuries can cause paralysis or weakness, and loss of motor control. Breeds with vaulted skulls (such as Silkies) are especially prone to brain damage, and can sustain brain injury and swelling that can create physical disability.
  • Bumblefoot and other leg and foot issues can cause chickens to limp and favor their feet and legs. Carefully investigate for bumblefoot, and consider leg sprains and other injury when assessing your bird.
  • If you suspect ocular Marek's, be aware that there is a condition that may look like ocular Marek's, called Coloboma. Colomba is a physical irregularity in the iris, which usually looks like a black 'notch' or sometimes a 'drip'. The notch is caused by genetics or trauma to the eye. It is possibly hereditary and may show up in chicks too young to have Marek's symptoms. Not much is known about Colomba in chickens; in humans, Colomba of the iris does not cause blindness, and so if your chicken seems blind in the irregular eye, it might not be Colomba.

About a week ago, I noticed that my 12 week old pearl leghorn was limping on one leg. I took her out and checked her over and tested the leg, but she showed no signs of pain and still had movement. I thought she might have injured herself jumping around the coop or the yard, so I decided to keep an eye on her and see what developed.

By the next day, she had no use of the leg and was dragging it behind her, pecking at it and just generally flopping around. She still had use of the other leg, and was eating and drinking normally. I checked her foot very carefully for signs of bumblefoot, and didn't see any. I turned her over and moved her leg around. Still no protest or signs of pain, but there was no resistance and the leg was very loose and almost "hanging". I checked to make sure that her tendons were in place, and that wasn't it.

A day or so later, she had lost the use of her other leg. The toes still curled but there was the same general weakness as I saw in the first leg. The toes were curled under and her feet looked like little fists. At this point, I had her separated in a small area. She was still alert and sweet and eating and drinking normally. Her stools were also normal.

I was afraid it might be mareks, but she had been vaccinated as a chick and I wasn't seeing any further progression of the "paralysis". I wasn't even sure that it WAS paralysis, but she definitely didn't have use of either leg. I had read about vitamin B deficiency, so I started her on liquid B in her water and she drank it right up. I was also giving her mash of egg yolk, chicken feed, yogurt and a few cut up grapes or grated carrot and apple.

For a day or so, she seemed better, creeping around on her hocks and foraging a little. I still kept her separated during the day, but was in the coop at night with the others, where she kept to herself in a corner.

This morning, I went out to the coop and it looked like a bomb had gone off. There litter was everywhere, the food and water had been overturned and my poor chicken was lying half buried in the shavings. I let the others out first, then went to see about her. She was lying in what turned out to be a puddle of her own blood and feces. It seemed like a lot of blood loss... At first, I thought she was already dead, but she was still breathing. She opened her eyes, but didn't move. I placed her on a towel in a pet carrier, and she just lay here. I cleaned off the shavings and checked her over. She was not pecked or injured but her vent was slimed with the bloody feces.

I attended to the other chickens and then went back to her. She had pooped all over the towel and it was mostly blood. She couldn't lift her head. At this point, I had to say goodbye and put her down. There was no way that her life was bearable with what looked like a lot of suffering. Her sweet little light had gone out of the world.

I'm posting this to ask that if any of you have any experience with this, please tell me what likely happened and how to prevent it from happening to my other chickens. Also, so that if anyone is having this experience now, maybe you can learn from mine.

Be peaceful, my beautiful Chicoletta.

Oh, so sorry for your loss. :( Did you happen to get a necropsy done?

I am experiencing exactly what you describe right now... just leg paralysis and no progression. Today is day 3, chick is fully alert with regular feces. And no other symptoms.

Possible causes I have identified are vitamin E deficiency, Marek's, botulism.

Since neither Marek's or botulism line up, I am treating for E deficiency. Next question would be what caused the deficiency. I feed a formulated ration and keep treats to a very minimum. Which leaves genetics, or parasites.

This is a Silkie cross of some sort, not from my stock. And silkies are specifically known for getting the E deficiency... No other Silkie in my flock has shown symptoms. Nor have I supplemented anything, other than electrolytes for shipped chicks.

Next is parasites. I regularly check and treat if needed for lice/mites/ anything else. So that leaves worms. I will get a fecal float done at the vet to confirm before treating for what I may not have... and making sure I do treat for the correct parasites if any are found. Noting that a chicken in a weakened state can be more susceptible to things that might not normally be a problem. For example coccidia that is always around.

@Nambroth - Great necropsy links in your signature line, will be very helpful to me in the future! Thank you. :highfive:

My mini Dutch 4 week chicken found with both legs and wing paralysis 3.days ago has almost recovered due to my removing her from the flock, syringing solvent D suolton for fluid into her beak and doing Physiotherapy by stretching her feet gently also giving her defrosted frozen corn, also give some time in the sun, not too hot day. Every one trying to scare you with Mark's desiese

Back
Top Bottom