My chicken died I need to know why please help

chicken fam

Chirping
Oct 20, 2020
GA, United States
Yesterday one of my Australorpes walked out of the coop and froze she didn't move for a few hours and had no energy, then today I walked out and she was dead, do you know if she froze to death or is this a sickness that will spread to the other chickens or maybe problems with an egg. (they were around the time to start laying) We have one more Australorpe and two Welsummers and one older one we don't know the breed of, if someone can help please do.

:welcome sorry for the loss. Sudden death with no previous symptoms is usually not the result of an infectious illness.

Did the chicken go back into the coop last night? How old was she? Was she still laying or had she molted? Did you feel her body for any abnormalities? Really without a necropsy, we are only guessing at the cause. Many folks on here have performed at-home necropsies, or you can find a local agency for your state to ship the body. You're only other option is just to wait and see what happens to the rest of your flock. Observe them closely. Are they eating? Do they free range and potentially have access to something poisonous? What do their stools look like? Look for anything different. I've lost a hen suddenly, too. In the end the rest of the flock was fine, and I can only assume she had something internally wrong.

She did go into the coop (every night we lock them up because of coyotes) She was just old enough to lay, she's never let us pick her up, the rest of the flock are eating and drinking for that matter, they do free range but we don't have anything in are yard that's poisonous that we know. We got an egg the day before (we don't know if it was hers) she died is it possible she died from the egg?? She also was the biggest hen we had if that helps?? Thank you!!

Last edited:
Did the chicken go back into the coop last night? How old was she? Was she still laying or had she molted? Did you feel her body for any abnormalities? Really without a necropsy, we are only guessing at the cause. Many folks on here have performed at-home necropsies, or you can find a local agency for your state to ship the body. You're only other option is just to wait and see what happens to the rest of your flock. Observe them closely. Are they eating? Do they free range and potentially have access to something poisonous? What do their stools look like? Look for anything different. I've lost a hen suddenly, too. In the end the rest of the flock was fine, and I can only assume she had something internally wrong.
also thank you

it was probably 40-50 F in the night

Then I'm sure she did not directly freeze to death. Mature chickens tend to be quite comfortable in those temperatures, at least when they are healthy.

Sorry I don't know what did cause her death, just that one thing didn't :(

Back
Top Bottom