1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My chicken died =[

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lady chicken whisperer, Jan 13, 2009.

1. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    I went out to check on my birds today and my barred rock pullet was laying on her back, dead. I picked her up and noticed something hanging out of her mouth. She choked on a mouse [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    wow really??? I am so sorry I did not think they would try to eat a mouse, is that common?

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Oh, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

I was expecting to see the usual predator type story or illness. [​IMG]

4. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

OH MY GOODNESS! [​IMG] I didnt even think chickens would attempt to eat a mouse!

I'm so sorry for your loss.. [​IMG]

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Oh wow! I'm so sorry. I've never heard of that happening. [​IMG]

6. lady chicken whisperer

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    Oh yes, I watch my chickens eat mice all the time actually. Most of the time it happens when I am cleaning the barn and turn over a mouse nest. The mice run and the chickens go crazy. Theyre quite brutal actually. I am just so suprised that she actually choked on one.....what a horrible way to die.

7. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Wow! That's sad that she passed on.. but what a way to go! She was probably thinking she had the best catch ever! She sounds like he died happy and in action.
    [​IMG]

8. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Quote:I knew they'd eat baby mice, but didn't know they'd eat a full grown one.

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm sorry you lost your hen. My sympathy.

10. lady chicken whisperer

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    *update*
    I just pulled the mouse out of her mouth and I think I found the problem. Besides the mouse being a big sucker, I think its head got turned backwards on the way down. So it pretty much clogged her throat up and she couldnt swallow. Ugh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by