My chicken don't sleep together

3chickchick

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2020
I have 3 hens. One speckled sussex and 2 golden laced wyandotte. Before they always sleep together on the same perch. From 2 or 3 days ago, speckled sussex sleep on the top perch and the other 2 sleep on the lower perch. Is something wrong with them? Do they not get along anymore? During day time they seem get along.

As long as they get along fine outside of bedtime it's not an issue.
Right. That's a whole different ball game.
They can be very nasty on the roost.
Every night after head count and lock up I say, "Be nice, b*ches".
The HBIC is likely the "lady" on the top perch.

Are any of them injured? Are any bleeding? If yes, then there is a problem. If no, they don't have a problem, they have worked things out. You might have a problem because you are worrying about something that isn't a problem to them.

Each chicken has its own personality. Each flock has its own dynamics. The dominant chicken gets to sleep where they want to. They also get to decide who sleeps next to them. If your dominant chicken wants to sleep up there by herself, she will. That's just them being chickens.

If any are getting injured that is a different story and we can chat about it. But if no one is getting injured they are doing fine.

Yes, they are all laying eggs now.
I have old picture of roosts and they used to cuddle together . (The blue broad on the far end have been removed and feeder had been located to other side of the coop.)

Attachments

• rooster 1.jpg
    rooster 1.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 8
  • chickchickcoudle.jpg
    chickchickcoudle.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 8
I assume it could be pecking order related. I definitely have birds at different levels in trees. The cuddle picture looks like they might not have enough room though.

Back
Top Bottom