my chicken dust bath on me

Yep, trying to dust bathe on you. Some of mine dig and scratch on me as if I was a pile of dirt. Chickens aren’t very smart 😄 I love them, but they just aren’t (for a bird anyway - birds in general are quite smart as far as animals go, but chickens didn’t get the memo).

Yep, trying to dust bathe on you. Some of mine dig and scratch on me as if I was a pile of dirt. Chickens aren’t very smart 😄 I love them, but they just aren’t (for a bird anyway - birds in general are quite smart as far as animals go, but chickens didn’t get the memo).
Do they know it’s me or they think I’m just a pile of dirt

Do they know it’s me or they think I’m just a pile of dirt
Cats have dumb moments like that, too 😄 Mine has always had a covered litter box. The cat is 13 and never went out of the box, knows full well how to use it. And yet, often she’ll scratch up at the walls trying to bury her poop with the wall... She’ll pull from the litter, gradually scratching farther until she moves up to the wall and starts scraping the wall instead, doing the same burying movements but accomplishing nothing. Does she see it’s a wall? Of course she does. But the movement is automatic and she doesn’t stop to think if she’s doing it right. Not her brightest moment 😄 though she’s a fine cat otherwise. Animals succumb to impulses more often than we do, even when it doesn’t make any sense.

My hen sitting on my lap is pecking me and then turns over and dig. Then she ruffle her feathers and close her eyes what does it mean
My little roo, when he was under two weeks old, would mock dust bathe in my lap. I agree with what some others said - means she loves her Mama Chicken and is comfortable with you. I always interpret it as similar to purring with cats: Cats purr and knead in your lap and chickens nap or dust bathe in your lap :love .

Back
Top Bottom