My chicken got caught in a glue rat trap

FrostyWind

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
Good Afternoon,
How do you get the glue substance off of a chicken that accidentally got caught in a rat glue traps?
My brother's put down a trap, for these 2 huge rats that are in our yard and they sometimes come into our gallery. They put it down at night since they come out most often at that time. They were supposed to pick it up early in the morning to prevent any chickens or birds from getting trapped but they forgot and a Hen and a baby chick with adult flight feathers got it all on one side of their body?
How to take that glue off their feathers?
Pics:
IMG_20200216_125644.jpg
IMG_20200216_125633.jpg
IMG_20200216_125505.jpg
IMG_20200216_125451.jpg

Thanks

Two options, try a few different types of oil on a new trap and see if that will loosen the glue. Possibly better option is cover the affected portion of the hen with dust or flour. This will make it no longer sticy. Then cut off big chunks and let her molt the rest.

Mineral oil is used to save snakes and lizards from sticky traps so I think it would be safe to use on chickens feathers as well. I'd put on rubber gloves and work it through the feathers. It'll probably take multiple applications to get all the glue out. You may need to bathe them after the glue is all out if they are really oily.

Mineral oil is used to save snakes and lizards from sticky traps so I think it would be safe to use on chickens feathers as well. I'd put on rubber gloves and work it through the feathers. It'll probably take multiple applications to get all the glue out. You may need to bathe them after the glue is all out if they are really oily.
What if I can't find Mineral oil.
Honestly I didn't even know that even existed?
What other options are there?
Can I use cooking oil? Like:
Pure soya bean oil?

Good Afternoon,
How do you get the glue substance off of a chicken that accidentally got caught in a rat glue traps?
My brother's put down a trap, for these 2 huge rats that are in our yard and they sometimes come into our gallery. They put it down at night since they come out most often at that time. They were supposed to pick it up early in the morning to prevent any chickens or birds from getting trapped but they forgot and a Hen and a baby chick with adult flight feathers got it all on one side of their body?
Pics:
View attachment 2027659View attachment 2027660View attachment 2027661View attachment 2027662
Thanks
Olive oil. No joke. Massage it in very gently. It will take some time to break down the glue. But patience will pay off.

Good Afternoon,
Pics:
View attachment 2027659View attachment 2027660View attachment 2027661View attachment 2027662
Thanks
poor thing, Well I guess it doesn't know what that was and though it's just something that he can walkabout. poor thing

You can try the oil first, give the feathers a good soaking in them, rub in into the feathers and leave it for 30 mins or so.

If it was me I’d then soak the hen in warm water and rub washing up liquid into the feathers stuck with glue, repeat the soap a few times after rinsing it off. If there is any thick clumps, cut them out.

Dry her off and see what she’s like after that. Little bits of glue left on isn’t going to harm anything and will probably just look unsightly to you until she moults.

Young chicks go quite a few small moults at a young age so as long as it’s free to move and isn’t as badly effected as the mother, I’d just soak it in oil too and give it a quick rinse off afterwards.

Fully dry them both afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom