My chicken got its life saved today

bryan8

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
New york
Well I let my moma bantie out in the yard today to get a break from the 6 week old red sex links she thinks are hers
big_smile.png

Anyways she was in the yard, and from my window I saw a hawk swoop down and while it was about 20ft in the air a purple martin from the bird house went after and attacked the hawk. They were dukeing it out in the air, and then another martin came out of the bird house and attacked the hawk also. The hawk crashed into the lawn, and the martins kept swooping down at it. Then the hawk took off into the woods. I think it broke its wing.

During all this my bantie ran to my door and I ran out and got her.

Thanks to those little purple martins!

though Id share

~Bryan

Wonderful! Better put up some more houses for that Martin colony to expand!
wink.png

Although, bruised I doubt the hawk broke it's wing and flew away.
hmm.png

-Kim

Quote:
It didnt fly. It ran into the woods
big_smile.png

hopefully it will get eaten
tongue.png
not trying to be mean, I just hate the hawks when they bother my chickens
sad.png

Awesome!

It would have been awesome if you caught it on video! That is quite the story, and purple martins are such small little birds too!

-Kim

yea I know.

They have been making a nest every year for about 3 years now. They love this old red birdhouse on a fence post.

Last year you couldnt go near the birdhouse or they dive bombed you. I got hit twice last year
roll.png

They calmed down to people this year.

I have raised chickens, ducks, geese, turkens, turkeys, goats, donkeys, cattle, horses, dogs, etc.... and Old McDonald's Farm for over 30 years but I have never had anything happen like I did this year. Hurricane Ike wiped me out on my chicken pens, etc... I decided to buy more chickens and could not find pullets ready to lay so I had to order hatchings. I rebuilt my pen and thought it would be fool proof. I ordered 50 chicks. Got them raised up to 8 weeks, the chicken snake got 5 so let them out in their yard for 1 day. Got up and was going to work and I saw a red fox with one in it's mouth. I hollered at it and went to the pen and found 10 bodies and the other 35 bodies I never found. For 5 nights straight in a row about 11:30 p.m. at night my inside dogs (none outside) would howl
( I have basenji's that don't bark, they growl), got my gun and flashlight and shot at the red foxes. the foxes left. Now, when I am out mowing or cleaning up from the Hurricane I am finding dead bodies hid under brush in my pasture (about 200 feet from my pens that are enclosed under fence in my back yard) or in holes that evendently the foxes dug. I live on acreage. I never dreamed that red foxes would kill the chickens and bury them and then come back later to dig them up. If I would not have seen the red foxes, I would believe it would be dogs.

Back
Top Bottom