My chicken has a broken leg and beak!

Merylyn

Chirping
Jul 23, 2020
My chicken was accidently left outside (fenced) and the raccoon managed to grab her through the fence and now she has a leg which looks Bent in two areas and her top beak is completly gone any ideas on how to help her? And to give her anything for the pain? (Putting down is not an option).

No I'm only a teen-ager and my dad won't pay as last time we a spent 300 dollars on a duck who didn't survive

Could you post a few pictures of where the injuries are?

Here is a bird anatomy diagram. Being very gentle, could you feel where the breaks are and tell us?

1595503175788.png

I'm sorry to say that if the injuries are as you describe any responsible vet is going to recommend that you end the chickens suffering and end her life.
A completely missing top beak is irreparable and she/he will not be able to feed themselves.
A single leg break can prove completely debilitating for a chicken in many circumstances, a multiple break extremely so.

The fibia or tibia, the tarsometatarsus, and the maxilla.

Three breaks. That's bad.

Don't take offense to my post, but you stating that "putting down is not an option" is a bit selfish, the bird is likely in extreme pain/shock, she'll likely require antibiotics since we're talking bite wounds, fluids to treat shock, and splints which may or may not work to treat her broken bones.

I think I could say with a decent amount of confidence that her prognosis is very poor.

Trust me, I'm not a euthanize immediately person, but if she were mine, I'd likely put her down.

And, yes, a missing top beak, she'd need to be tube-fed every day.

I meant that i really can't put her down I have never done it and neither has any of my family and paying to euthanized her also would be a no from my parents the best I can do is get pain meds and let her pass as pain-free as possible I know you meant no offense but not everyone has the same situation or freedom as each time other.

I meant that i really can't put her down I have never done it and neither has any of my family and paying to euthanized her also would be a no from my parents the best I can do is get pain meds and let her pass as pain-free as possible I know you meant no offense but not everyone has the same situation or freedom as each time other.

Do you know of any farmers around your area or hunters? They'd likely do it for you.

Back
Top Bottom