My chicken has fly strike, BADLY

Bjwkarma

Songster
Nov 14, 2020
Ive given her a bath, tweeted off maggots and will repeat every two hours- I read that anyway. I gave her doxicycline and ivermectin. Does anyone please have any additional advice?

She always had poop butt, so I was just cleaning her up and saw maggots, so many on my poor Lucky

Do you have photos of the wounds?

Continue to soak/clean the wounds and remove any maggots you see.
General care would be to apply triple antibiotic ointment to any open wounds and keep the hen someplace where flies can't get to her.

I dont have photos, I could take one later, im keeping her in a box until she lays. It's a circle about as big as a half dollar below her rectum. I looked in the coop and for some reason they all lay eggs in one spot, even though there's plenty of space, a d where an egg was broken there were maggots! I'm doing a deep cleaning today

I just have never seen that before, and her crop has been laid over for like a week so I don't know how long it's been going on

I dont have photos, I could take one later, im keeping her in a box until she lays. It's a circle about as big as a half dollar below her rectum. I looked in the coop and for some reason they all lay eggs in one spot, even though there's plenty of space, a d where an egg was broken there were maggots! I'm doing a deep cleaning today

I just have never seen that before, and her crop has been laid over for like a week so I don't know how long it's been going on

Below the vent is a typical place for FlyStrike, it's good that the wound is not too big. If you tend to it daily, likely it will heal quickly.

LOL I have nesting boxes on the wall, nice wood ones my husband built. I have a couple of hens that lay in the boxes, the rest army crawl underneath the boxes and lay eggs, I have to use a grabber tool to get the eggs out!😂

Back
Top Bottom