My chicken has mites

Also, is there possibly any other way to get rid of the mites with maybe some household or backyard items? Could I make my own spray to use or use something natural to get rid of the mites?

Also, is there possibly any other way to get rid of the mites with maybe some household or backyard items? Could I make my own spray to use or use something natural to get rid of the mites?
Mites cause a bird suffering, discomfort & draining blood & nutrition, can cause anemia & death especially if bird is already not well. Don't let birds suffer with mites.

I use Bronco spray as prevention, it's ok against pigeon lice but it doesn't work as well on chicken mites & won't kill an infestation. A mite infestation is when a product like Sevin is handy but it is a dangerous product, you have to wear a mask don't breath the dust in, which is hard as it is a light dust, & trying to avoid chickens face, well then the mites all run to her face. I used once, yrs ago, it did work, but like I said, it is a dangerously strong carcinogenic product. While I know some people that use it, I'd rather not as it affects eggs, can't eat them for awhile.

When I rescued a hen loaded with mites it was almost night by the time I got her home, I had no products on hand, so I gave the hen a bath with tea tree soap & by the time I was done she was mite free. Tea tree soap is natural. I think any soap may work if you lather her up well & dry her off well. I only know what I have tried, maybe others can suggest more options.

To kill mites it is best to get a proven insecticide such as permethrin or spinosad that is safe for chickens. Some have used sevin dust in the past. Do you have any of that or garden dust? Frontline is another product sometimes used, but dosage should be followed carefully according to weight.

To kill mites it is best to get a proven insecticide such as permethrin or spinosad that is safe for chickens. Some have used sevin dust in the past. Do you have any of that or garden dust? Frontline is another product sometimes used, but dosage should be followed carefully according to weight.
I don’t think I have those, but I checked and it seems like she doesn’t have as many mites now, I don’t know for sure though but the diatomaceous earth may have helped since the mites were mostly on her back bottom feathers and I put a lot of diatomaceous earth there, I also gave her some more vitamin E in some chicken feed for her and I think she ate about all of it that had the vitamin E thankfully! It seems like she may be lifting her neck a little higher than before. I really hope she gets better

Here is what she looks like today, I think she is getting better thankfully! I gave her more vitamin E in some food
2AE6E0A9-783C-4D03-BA2C-A26A134BADE4.jpeg
00916209-043D-458D-9D62-AB80F31B5B3B.jpeg

Ok I have heard many people say to treat for mites. You keep asking about boiled eggs. STOP with the natural route unless you want a dead bird. Get something proven to kill the mites as others have said. Permethrin dust or spray. End of story! Keep the DE for your ant mounds. It’s been at least 4 days from what I can tell and you still haven’t treated your bird!:barnie

Ok I have heard many people say to treat for mites. You keep asking about boiled eggs. STOP with the natural route unless you want a dead bird. Get something proven to kill the mites as others have said. Permethrin dust or spray. End of story! Keep the DE for your ant mounds. It’s been at least 4 days from what I can tell and you still haven’t treated your bird!:barnie
I think there seem to be a lot fewer mites on her now though, there were a lot in the fluffy parts of her back feathers and some diatomaceous earth is still in there, so I think it is probably helping, I’ve also picked a few off of her too and she seems to be doing better I think

Back
Top Bottom