My chicken has poop on her butt

Lynette

Songster
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
Lapeer County, Michigan
I noticed that my Salmon Faverolle hen was just standing around. I saw her butt and it is like her feathers are wet and feathers stuck together with poop. My husband picked her up so I could get a better look. I was thinking pastey butt and it isn't plugged. It appears to be clear but leaking poop. What is wrong with her?

Has she laid an egg today? She may have an egg stuck in her. I had one like that a couple of weeks ago and that's exactly what her backside looked like. Look at her vent and you will be able to tell if she is trying to push something out and you may be able to tell by looking at her eyes if she is straining to push something out.

If she does have an egg in her you may be able to feel some swelling in her abdomen. Mine never passed the egg and is perfectly fine now, but hasn't laid since. You bay want to put on a rubber glove and put vaseline on your finger and try to see if you feel an egg in there. Most of the time you will be able to. If you feel it you may be able to help it out but be careful not to break it. You could also get a bucket and fill it with warm water, not too hot you dont want to burn her, and hold her in the water. You will want to massage her belly in the warm water for 20 minutes and you can wash the poop out of her feathers. Make sure you dry her well before you put her back with the others so she doesnt catch a chill. She may pass the egg while in the bucket, but if she don't you may want to try again in a few more hours. I hope this helps and Good Luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom