My chicken has relapsed 10 days after being treated for a respiratory infection.

Sounds like you have a good plan!

Also, I have been clearing my chicks nostrils whenever they become clogged over with a dry piece of mucus, using a pair of tweezers. She appreciates it so much if she sees the tweezers she will hold her head still with the clogged side towards me. If you have the time and energy to spare, I think it will make your hen a lot happier. I clear the nose then use the VetRX about 2-3 times per day

Warmth may be only needed if the chicken is in a bad way, and contained in a hospital crate. When my hen was recovering from crop impaction, she wasn't eating or moving enough to generate her own heat. So, I placed a heat lamp on low to see if she welcomed it. And she did, night time temps only got down to 58 degrees F., but if the hen is weak, it may as well, be 20 degrees. I only ran the lamp from 3 a.m. to 7 a.m., the sides of the cage were covered with a sheet to keep drafts out and help her stay calm. You just have to use your own judgement when determining this.

A chicken is no different than a person who sick with a fever, aches and pains. Even if you are wearing a jacket outside, you will feel better resting at home with some nourishing foods and plenty of liquids, and proper meds to speed healing.

Back
Top Bottom