My chicken has started attacking me?

They were 18 weeks on Wednesday. :) They do kind of have shiny greenish feathers on their necks if the light hits them in the right spot but I'm still (almost, until today anyway!) 100% sure that all 3 are hens.
Yeah.About a month in a half crowing should happen.

You would know if she was heritage, b/c she would have come with the price tag! True heritage RIRs are pretty much only from private breeders, they are so dark red that they look almost cherry colored, and they are usually pretty pricey.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site/1850
_MG_6211.jpg

This is a heritage hen.

it's not a bad thing, unless you plan on showing them. I love all of my hatchery girls, they are dependable layers and very friendly girls. My crazy chicken is from a farm, go figure. If it is a roo, it is a pretty late bloomer. Usually by 18 weeks you would see pointed hackle and saddle feathers, even if there is no crowing until six months. I have seen stranger things happen, so maybe it will grow some boy feathers, but for now I would still think hen that is about to lay and going stupid b/c of it.

it's not a bad thing, unless you plan on showing them. I love all of my hatchery girls, they are dependable layers and very friendly girls. My crazy chicken is from a farm, go figure. If it is a roo, it is a pretty late bloomer. Usually by 18 weeks you would see pointed hackle and saddle feathers, even if there is no crowing until six months. I have seen stranger things happen, so maybe it will grow some boy feathers, but for now I would still think hen that is about to lay and going stupid b/c of it.

I really hope it's a hen. We can't have roosters here and I don't know what to do with it if she ends up being a roo! Not planning on showing at all though. We just want the eggs. We're loving being chicken owners so far! :) We're thinking about getting a few more this spring.

I had 2 RIR and one turned mean for no reason. I had to re-home her. She was pecking at my legs and stalking me and biting me; I always had to keep one eye on her. Then she started being so mean to the other girls as they were trying to lay their eggs. She'd decide who was allowed to lay and in which nest. I was finding a lot of eggs laid in the run and after watching her for a while I saw why. She would peck at them as they sat in the nest and chase them out of the coop. There was so much tension at egg laying time it was terrible. And she didn't start this behavior until she was about 9 months old.
I tried carrying her around while I did my chicken chores and this worked for a few days then she'd start biting me again. I tried holding her upside down for a bit like I've heard recommended to do for aggressive roosters and again, this worked for a day or two. I put her on Craigslist and found her a new home the next day! I even put that she was mean in the listing... I didn't want to mislead anyone with her. My other RIR is very nice and I still have her. Mine were also from Meyer. I've read they can just turn out mean. Once she left the flock it was so peaceful. Now I feel bad I didn't get rid of her sooner.

Back
Top Bottom